Sign in to follow this  
Joshburns

Personally Found Southwest Michigan Fossils

Joshburns

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. Is anyone from Southwest Michigan? I've posted a photo of my first possible arthropodic find from a local field near my home. Can anyone help me identify whatever this is?

post-14378-0-26226600-1391380056_thumb.jpeg

post-14378-0-06887400-1391380103_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joshburns

jgcox

appears to be a trilobite imprint-but without strata and formation info it will be hard to identify

Joshburns

Thanks. I know the precise spot thanks to my GPS coordinate. Is there a way to get strata and formation info? Also, would you perhaps know the precise sub-species of trilobite?

Edited by Joshburns

Taogan

You need to give a little more information, you need to let us know the rock formation you found it in, and possibly a slightly clearer picture. From the information available all that is sure is that it is a trilobite.

Fossildude19

If you could narrow it down to what county you found it in, we could surmise an age and possible formation found in.

Then we can narrow down id's.

To me, it looks like a dalmantid trilobite - based on the shape of the pygidium. Not sure of species.

I am also NOT a trilobite expert, so grains of salt must be taken. ;)

Maybe Piranha will weigh in and straighten me out.

Welcome to the Forum, Josh. :)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Joshburns

Thanks for the info. One of you asked what county it was from. To be precise, I found in a sandy/clayish bar in a field in Alamo Township, Kalamazoo County. Michigan. Again thanks for the help.

Auspex

Thanks for the info. One of you asked what county it was from. To be precise, I found in a sandy/clayish bar in a field in Alamo Township, Kalamazoo County. Michigan. Again thanks for the help.

That would make it what is called "float", as it was not in the originating strata. It could have come from bedrock anywhere the glaciers came from, and will thus be hard to date with confidence. Our best hope is for good enough pictures for as close an ID as is possible.

piranha

The morphology of the thoracic segments and tightly spaced / narrow axial rings of the pygidium suggest this trilobite is an encrinurid. A couple of possibilities include Encrinuroides (Ordovician), Encrinurus (Silurian), or other similar encrinurid genus. As Auspex mentioned, glaciation could certainly account for transport as there are numerous encrinurid genera typically recorded further north from Canada.

post-4301-0-98552000-1391390769_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-94368900-1391390770_thumb.jpg

Joshburns

post-14378-0-13186400-1391391077_thumb.jpg

That would make it what is called "float", as it was not in the originating strata. It could have come from bedrock anywhere the glaciers came from, and will thus be hard to date with confidence. Our best hope is for good enough pictures for as close an ID as is possible.

Sure, no problem. I just took a closer, clearer image of it.

Joshburns

The morphology of the thoracic segments and tightly spaced / narrow axial rings of the pygidium suggest this trilobite is an encrinurid. A couple of possibilities include Encrinuroides (Ordovician), Encrinurus (Silurian), or other similar encrinurid genus. As Auspex mentioned, glaciation could certainly account for transport as there are numerous encrinurid genera typically recorded further north from Canada.

attachicon.gifIMG1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG2.jpg

Are you suggesting there are two? That's pretty cool. I never noticed that!

piranha

Are you suggesting there are two? That's pretty cool. I never noticed that!

There is only one trilobite, just showing a couple of different encrinurid types for comparison.

Fossildude19

Thanks for chiming in here Scott - I knew you would be the one to ID it!

Regards,

Joshburns

There is only one trilobite, just showing a couple of different encrinurid types for comparison.

Ahh, of course. Thanks guys for helping me out!