Sign in to follow this  
Joshburns

Another Personal Find

Joshburns
Hi, here is another fossil I can't seem to figure out. While walking through the woods adjacent to my house, I saw this strange rock laying on the forest floor. It was covered in dirt, and it first seemed very organic (the underside of the fossil crumbled a little). But, I quickly realized it was a fossil. Although it appears dirty, I cleaned it off as much as I could. Its probably some kind of marine plant, but I'm not really sure. This was found in Alamo Township, Kalamazoo County, Michigan. Any help would be great and if more pictures are needed from different angles just let me know.

post-14378-0-37700900-1391395983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joshburns

dragonsfly

It appears to be a calcite and chert( the white stuff) replacement bearing some resemblance to a colonial coral in side view cross section. Is there alot of limestone in the area? John

fossilcrazy

Your area would have a wide range of different Devonian Corals. I am quite certain you have a weathered sample of Favosites (Honeycomb) Coral; of which there are literally dozens of species.

Edited by fossilcrazy

Joshburns

It appears to be a calcite and chert( the white stuff) replacement bearing some resemblance to a colonial coral in side view cross section. Is there alot of limestone in the area? John

No, there's not a trace of limestone anywhere.

Joshburns

post-14378-0-08171300-1391465661_thumb.jpg

Your area would have a wide range of different Devonian Corals. I am quite certain you have a weathered sample of Favosites (Honeycomb) Coral; of which there are literally dozens of species.

Thanks for the info. Here is a photo of the underside.