oneofmetwo

Seeking - Fossil Sites In Socal

oneofmetwo

I am an amateur fossil collector, barely even a hobbiest. But I have young healthy knees and a strong desire to hunt ancient fauna.

1) Do you want to go hunting? I am very open to meeting in person and venturing out together. However, be warned, I'm an extrovert, so I will try to be entertaining.

2) Do you know any proven/potential sites near Los Angeles (within 100 miles)?

- Abandoned quarries (I'll wear a hard hat, I know)

- Highway embankments (visibility vest, I know)

- Friendly rural landowners (bullet proof vest, I know)

- Dry river beds/canyons

- Abandoned mines or wells (write my will ahead of time, I know)

Bev

You are too funny! If you every make it out to Minnesota, give me a shout! :-D

oneofmetwo

Thanks to this site, I found a link to the Southern California Paleontological Society (https://sites.google.com/site/scpaleo/) and have gotten involved.

However, I'm still looking for comrades who want to go collecting, and who know of good locations to look.

Let me know if you're interested!

AncientEarth

I live up in SLO County if you ever want to plan something.

lissa318

lol! Welcome from PA. :) You came to the right place to meet some friendly fossil hunters!!!

hardlyatwork

hi there

we joined so cal plaeo last year and have been to a couple of trips with them. great bunch of folks! the meetings and speakers are informative and you will learn a lot from them. i'm not sure what etiquette is on this forum but i have a couple of sites i'd be willing to share with ya!

Scylla

Welcome from New York. I come to California about twice a year and would love to go hunting for fossils.

Sickle_Claw

Out of curiosity, I notice that a large proportion of fossils seem to come from Canyons and other locales like that in my area. I have a Canyon behind where I live that been partially abandoned. They do oil drilling near the area, which has me intrigued about its possibilities. (Still very amateur on geology but...) It is on a fault line, (Whittier narrows fault I think?) And it does have at least one creek. It also has a wide range of hiking trails, standout of them is one trail that switchbacks against the face of one of the larger hills. I remember seeing against the side of the face some bones that looked recent (like a rat jaw or something) but the people who did the trail along the edge seemed to have carved enough into the soil that I thought it might merit some closer examination. Might go back there, don't know if it's a wild goose chase or not.

Foogoo

I am an amateur fossil collector, barely even a hobbiest. But I have young healthy knees and a strong desire to hunt ancient fauna.

1) Do you want to go hunting? I am very open to meeting in person and venturing out together. However, be warned, I'm an extrovert, so I will try to be entertaining.

I'm over a year late to the party, but I'm also in LA and down to go (fossil) hunting!

Raptor Lover

I am also from Southern California (Hesperia) and am dying to go fossil hunting. I dont know anywhere to go though. I wish I couild go to Montana, Utah, or Wyoming

phossil_phanatic

I'm also an extrovert who'll be in the Los Angeles area from September onwards and would love to go fossil hunting!

califossilhunter

If you ever head up to Santa Barbara, there are some nice fossiliferous beaches over there.

Gaviota Beach/ El Capitan Beach: Petrified Whale Bone, Plant and Fish Fossils

Jalama Beach: Fossil Fish (very common)

Hope this helps!

Raptor Lover

If you ever head up to Santa Barbara, there are some nice fossiliferous beaches over there.

Gaviota Beach/ El Capitan Beach: Petrified Whale Bone, Plant and Fish Fossils

Jalama Beach: Fossil Fish (very common)

Hope this helps!

Sweet!