I Need Help Determining % Of Repair On This Plate Of Russian Trilobites

hollywatertower

Thanks to piranha, I believe these bugs are Asaphus Punctatus. Now I'm trying to determine the % of repair. I photographed them while under UV light. They look pretty good to me. Just guessing, I'd say about 5% (total guess). I'd greatly appreciate any opinions on the % of repair (or on any other matters)! The cystoid was definitely added to the plate. I'm a total novice when it comes to fossils. I bought a large collection and am learning as I go. Thanks in advance!!

post-14385-0-00308900-1391658149_thumb.jpg

post-14385-0-65623200-1391658176_thumb.jpg

post-14385-0-67339000-1391658202_thumb.jpg

post-14385-0-48986100-1391658228_thumb.jpg

post-14385-0-04216700-1391658257_thumb.jpg

Thank you, for posting images of the "UV Test"! Such a test is occasionally discussed here, but images of the results are hard to come by. Many readers will now have a better understanding of the concept. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I hope some readers may find the UV light test beneficial; I never realized that you could black light fossils (until squalicorax recommended I try it). I've been doing it on old oil paintings and antiquities for years. I love the way it exposes all of the repairs!

Very interesting. Do you think it indicates that the fossils were glued to the matrix rather than being exposed in it?

Some of the pictures seem to show a line running around the base of the fossil

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Squali,

I know that the cystoid is added to the plate; whatever holds it to the matrix fluoresces. As to the trilobites, The fluorescent material was used to make repairs. The lines appear to be scratches (they are not fluorescent); there doesn't appear to be added material when looked at with a loop. This is all new to me. I have a ton to learn; and appreciate any and all opinions!!

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by hollywatertower