Giant Phacops Rana Milleri Metallica Trilobite

Ray Eklund

Creative people can take common materials and make "things" out of them!

We purchased a family of Trilobites at the Tucson Rock and Gem Show last February 2013.

A fish was added for good measure.

post-14238-0-20835300-1390511187_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-57114300-1390511201_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-76540200-1390511214_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-40259800-1390511231_thumb.jpg

exemplary!

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

• 2 weeks later...

At the Tucson Rock Show last February we found an interesting Fossil Display. He would take carpet nails, bearings and other junk iron and make Trilobites and Fish. They were so nice we purchased three "baby" metallica Phacops and the "momma" metallica Phacops.

If you are handy with welding and have some scrap iron... go for it! I would like to see it finished!

These are 10 to 15 inches long and heavy. If anyone is interested in finding the artist who comes up with these ideas, make a post and I will try to find his business card.

post-14238-0-78132200-1391735408_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-17564300-1391735427_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-71190600-1391735443_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-76487900-1391735682_thumb.jpg

post-14238-0-18905700-1391735697_thumb.jpg

Each of these are under $2,000 each.

More in the $35 to $65 range each. We haggled a bit buying a group but this is probably a close estimate. While we were taking them off of the wall board he used to display them... people began to gather and became interested in his display. We offered to loiter some more if it helped.... Funny how that works.

As I scrolled down I discovered these were already posted. This is a catchier title than the first. If you are in Tucson he is in one of the tent sales in the Southwest side of town where the sidewalk show and motels are located. It says "FREE Parking" if that helps on the East side of the north/south Highway.

.... and here I discover I had already posted these. Too late to delete, but I came up with a better title.

.... and here I discover I had already posted these. Too late to delete, but I came up with a better title.

Topics merged.

;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The display is in the north end of the 22nd Street show. It always seemed to have a lot of viewers. His prices were very reasonable for the artistic work involved.

If you go to the show, stop by the booth on the north east corner see Aaron at Ancient Earth Trading Co. a true Trilofile and he'll treat you right.

Doren

I just got back from Tucson and was looking at these great pieces. The artist is John Benedict - website is www.somedistantworld.com

Prices are quite reasonable. This piece was probably about 20+ inches and was $390

Chris

post-2650-0-97175700-1391921550_thumb.jpg

We were not able to go to Tucson this February, but WILL be there in 2015! From newdog65's photos... we would have loved to have checked those out. If you are camping, find plenty of State campsites to the Southwest of Tucson. Tent and trailer. Have a light you can put under your hood at night to keep the pack rats from chewing up your engine wiring... When you are there you will see drop chords lights hanging under hoods to chase them to chew on YOUR car's wiring.

I think Quartzite will be on our list of places to camp next year as well. Just have to find the interesting camps spread out in the desert.

At the tents to the west of the Holidome (Holiday Inn & G&LW tent show) there are those Alien welded reptiles that include spark plugs, chain, engine parts, etc... to make some very interesting sculptures. I am a sucker for the unusual.

I hope it was warmer this year than 2013... which was cooler than we usually find in Tucson. Must be the Global Cooling beginning.

• 1 month later...

I have a few of these on my wall right now, even got some of the smaller spoons he had turned into trilobites scattered around my desk. He took a large tablespoon, crimped the edges and welded some bolts on for eyes, a lot of fun!

The large fish is based on a hatchetfish. I also picked up a handful of the ammonite sculptures he did, I'll post some photos to share with you guys of those.

The largest trilobite posted by Chris above on a stand actually had pose-able, articulated, axial ribs. John had it on display last year and I spent hours looking at that thing across the hall and posing the "specimen" for him.

Thanks Doren for the shout out, I'll be in the same spot next year too.

wow Scott, that Trilo Temporalis is amazing, thanks :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Archived