Purple Fossil Tooth Found On Beach. Which Fish And How Old I Wonder?

jessie1984

...Thanks to our moderators, the Fossil Forum remains one of the most friendly and informative sites on the internet.

The thanks goes to the friendly and informative membership!

"We (generally) attract what we publish." :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The topic starter has repeatedly crossed the line separating civil discourse from insult. We wish her well, but her short time as a member is over.

I agree with Coco that the purported tooth is likely part of a barnacle.

Auspex, shall you reconsider Jessie as a member?, I don't know her, nor I ever will, yet for the wording she used I inferred she is a young person, probably send a note to her saying for most this is a serious forum and insults aren't allowed, everyone deserves a second chance. She reacted as a youngster and some times we older guys have to show the way, forgiveness is a treasure. Sincerely. MK

I believe the original poster was 30 years old.

I think that's old enough to know how to comport yourself in a public forum.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I believe the original poster was 30 years old.

I think that's old enough to know how to comport yourself in a public forum.

Regards,

I believe you fossil, but sadly I have seen worst things online, yes I know this forum is a bit more serious and intended for academic like minds, but we live in an era where bad words at times are part of the vocabulary, the young lady on my mind reacted not getting the response she was looking for, perhaps felt embarrassed for not knowing between a shell or a tooth, I'd been there, although I laugh at myself when I don't know between a bone or a stick, but not everyone it's the same, so I ask politely (sic) for a second chance to a person I don't know. Regards. MK

I agree with MK. I can be really stubborn at times with an opinion but eventually come around when presented with reasonable facts. Part of what we try to do is to educate. Sometimes that means dragging people along kicking and screaming. But some will eventually come around. I agree that we can't allow excessive kicking and screaming but I hope we do allow some of the newbies to vent a little. It hurts when you find out that your treasure isn't what you thought it was. I've definitely been there before myself.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I will say it does not look like tooth, but the photos are so blurred they are useless.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Mk and Tim, you'd be surprised how many people around these parts of Aus are like this =/ generally more swearing though.

I don't like Aus much in that regard.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Why would anyone ask for help and then insult the people offering that help? I really don't get it. The generous members of this forum are happy to share their knowledge with neophytes like me and they deserve thanks for their help, not insults. Homo sapiens are certainly a fascinating species and I'm often amused by their antics, but there's always a point where it's no longer amusing. I could understand this woman insisting that she found a tooth, right or wrong, but I cannot understand why she would insult the good people volunteering to assist her.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I have t agree with pagarus... my inner nasty guy was ready to post an insult loaded reply just in case she came back, but I thought better of it. She blew her chance... (My inner nasty guy's reply was really fun)

Pag and JPC, I can understand your anger, it's justified, also by no means I justify what the lady wrote, nor what she meant, only she knows,I just think we all deserve a second chance, as Marco said isn't also a way to teach,isn't this forum meant to be a teaching tool, so let it be one in how to conduct ourselves, and show Jessie we can forget and forgive. Hopefully she will learn her lesson. MK

BTW, I obviously didn't read to the end of the thread before posting my reply.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

With all the social media out there like Facebook, Twitter and what not, forums are a dying breed. Along with the etiquette and other manners. I'll leave it up to the mods on whether the OP returns or not.

Auspex can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that usually there is a process to banning, and people crossing a line once will be warned, and counseled to shape up, and are not banned until crossing the line yet again, with disregard to the previous warning.

So, "Jessie", in all probability, has already had her "second chance". But banning, or reversal of such, as Ryan pointed out, is entirely up to the Forum administration.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

She may be a fine person, but her unrepentant belligerent behavior is the sort that is not welcome here.

It is clear, in our community standards, that the capacity to disagree without resorting to insult is requisite to participation on this Forum.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Guys, rules have to be accepted and obeyed, hopefully Jessie will or even better learned her lesson when joining other forums/ groups like this one.Deeper thought for me, perhaps her name hit a soft spot as is the name of my oldest daughter. I did my part trying to lobby for an unknown person and I accept the final decision. Regards MK

Wait, did someone call me an amateur? Hey, where'd they go? :blink: I am an amateur, this is my hobby, not my job. I often get ID's wrong, but I try. If I offended anyone, I'm sorry.

I have t agree with pagarus... my inner nasty guy was ready to post an insult loaded reply just in case she came back, but I thought better of it. She blew her chance... (My inner nasty guy's reply was really fun)

PM me nasty guy's reply I could use a laugh.

But they didn't call you a "rank amateur".

'cause you can't smell over the internet!