Can Whale Shark Teeth Be Found In Md

gavialboy

I have been collecting in maryland for 10 years and have never found more than 2 micro shark teeth both of which were hound shark teeth from Douglas point

I've been collecting MD sites for over 17 years and never found a whale shark tooth from Calvert Cliffs. I'm not 100% sure why or what would explain why Whale sharks perhaps didn't roam this area. It's possible they are found in other exposures (ie. Eocene) elsewhere in MD and VA.

Daryl.

With the high number of smaller Meg teeth as compared to the larger ones I have always thought the area along the cliffs to be more of a shallow water embayment. Could they have prefered deeper water?

Both whale shark teeth and basking shark teeth can be found in the Miocene of MD but they are extremely rare. I have a basking shark tooth and my son Mel has a whale shark tooth from the Miocene of MD.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 2 months later...

Daryl,

I think at least part of it is because the teeth are so small and relative fragile to be surface finds on a beach. Just look at how many sevengill shark teeth are found just as identifiable fragments. The site would have to be a place where the living environment was low energy too. You might find one/some by dissolving a chunk taken directly from one of the cliffs perhaps concentrating on the lower layers of the Calvert Fm..

Of course, that area might have been one not frequented by whale sharks. I've read that they prefer particular waters (tropical to warm/temperate with some cold water upwelling).

Jess

I've been collecting MD sites for over 17 years and never found a whale shark tooth from Calvert Cliffs. I'm not 100% sure why or what would explain why Whale sharks perhaps didn't roam this area. It's possible they are found in other exposures (ie. Eocene) elsewhere in MD and VA.

Daryl.