Ray Eklund

The United States Geological Survey Tenth Annual Report (1889), Part 1- Geology page 511 to page 763, also includes 20 fossil plates, one folded USA map with Lower Cambrian exposures (large scale but gets you started). Invertebrates found and trilobites.

The text describes the characteristics to identify Lower Cambrian invertebrates (1889 terminology, so some may be corrected after this was published).

The map of the USA shows outcrops known from New England to Nevada, along the Appalachians and heavily covered for Wisconsin and some Minnesota. Those living in the Wisconsin and Minnesota area must have outcrops in their basements!

This is a reference to get you started to narrow down exposures that you might have access. I had a neighbor who stopped at a fast food restaurant in Wisconsin and showed me a slab with something on it... an Olenellus trilobite! He could not remember which town, but if he could find one... you will find them.

Fauna of the Lower Cambrian or Olenellus Zone is the title by Charles D. Walcott. This is just one part of a volume. Find a copy at your library and make some notes and photocopy the map of the USA. Follow the text for areas you may be familiar.

These Lower Cambrian trilobites are very interesting to look at and can provide many hours of walking outcrops. I add two plates, upside down due to scanner options, and take a good look at just some of the possibilities!

post-14238-0-80148500-1392240546_thumb.jpeg

post-14238-0-37305300-1392240573_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for posting another great trilobite reference!

If anyone wants the convenience of a high-quality PDF, please send me a PM with email address.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Wow, wish we had something like this book for Australia, how awesome.

Australia has an amazing large selection of important trilobite publications. Many of these are available for free PDF download at Geoscience Australia: LINK

I'm counting over 90 papers available there, some of those are 100-200 pages in length! The 'Records' section has seven decades of publications so it might be difficult to navigate through these because the titles are not always conspicuous, plus the 'Bulletins' and 'Reports' sections have a bunch as well. Please contact me via PM and I can assist you with an excellent starter set of Australian trilobite bulletins from that collection and elsewhere.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png