Smilodon In Georgia?

MarkGelbart

I haven't posted here in a while, so here's a reminder.

I'm researching and writing a book entitled Georgia Before People: Land of the saber-tooths, mastodons, vampire bats, and other strange creatures.

No smilodon fossils have ever been found (as far as I know) in Georgia, but they have been found in Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, and out west. Therefore, I assume they did live in Georgia, but haven't been recovered because the fossil record in state is incomplete.

I'm posting here to find out for sure though. Are there any fossil collectors here who have found smilodon fossils in Georgia? I'm also interested in any Smilodon fossils found close to the Georgia/Florida border, and the Georgia/Tennessee border.

Here's a brief list of other Pleistocene species I think lived in Georgia but don't have positive proof for.

Woodland Muskox

Stag-moose

Fugitive Deer

Terratorn

Burrowing owl

Lions

Cheetahs

Scimitar-tooth Cat

Dire wolf

If anyone has collected any of these fossils anywhere near Georgia, let me know.

Guest Nicholas

I've been compiling a list of Pleistocene creatures of North America. Until now I actually had forgotten about the project. I'll check some sources and to to see what I can find. I'll also add any additional finds... :)

Guest Nicholas
During the Pleistocene, Georgia was inhabited by mammals not seen today, including mastodons, mammoths, elephants, camels, bison, tapirs, and giant ground sloths up to 6 meters tall. The climate was arid at times during the Pleistocene. About 20,000 years ago, rivers dried up and strong winds from the west blew the river sand into large dunes. Pleistocene sand-dune fields remain along the east side of several rivers, including the Flint, Ohoopee, and Canoochee.

From this link HERE!

I would assume(in my ignorance) that if ruminant animals in your list were surrounding states, like many in the known list of Pleistocene ruminants in Georgia.. that they would cross over as well. It logically makes sense to me, however I'll try to find some sources of actual fossil evidence.

Edit: another link with some more species HERE!

Auriculatus,

Where in Georgia did you find the dire wolf fossil? You don't have to tell me exactly, if it's a secret honey hole of yours, just the general vicinity. You might want to inform some academic authority--a professor or museum director--of your find, because I'm pretty sure dire wolves are officially unreported in Georgia. Someone might be interested in writing it up in a scientific journal.

Could I use your real name in my book? I can write that an amateur fossil collector reported collecting a dire wolf specimen in Georgia, but it sounds more authoritative, if I could use someone's real name.

I can give you my email address, if you don't want to reveal your real name here.

Finding specimens of a scimitar-tooth is Florida is also a big deal. I think the University of Florida museum is only aware of 2 specimens of this species from Florida. I think they only know of 8 specimens of smilodon from Florida.

Nicholas,

I know Georgia was arid during the Last Glacial Maximum. Most of the small creeks and streams didn't exist during this time, but I'm pretty sure the major rivers didn't completely dry up. Just let me know of anything you can find. I've wrung what's available on the web pretty dry.

Auriculatus,

Where in Georgia did you find the dire wolf fossil? You don't have to tell me exactly, if it's a secret honey hole of yours, just the general vicinity. You might want to inform some academic authority--a professor or museum director--of your find, because I'm pretty sure dire wolves are officially unreported in Georgia. Someone might be interested in writing it up in a scientific journal.

Could I use your real name in my book? I can write that an amateur fossil collector reported collecting a dire wolf specimen in Georgia, but it sounds more authoritative, if I could use someone's real name.

I can give you my email address, if you don't want to reveal your real name here.

Finding specimens of a scimitar-tooth is Florida is also a big deal. I think the University of Florida museum is only aware of 2 specimens of this species from Florida. I think they only know of 8 specimens of smilodon from Florida.

Nicholas,

I know Georgia was arid during the Last Glacial Maximum. Most of the small creeks and streams didn't exist during this time, but I'm pretty sure the major rivers didn't completely dry up. Just let me know of anything you can find. I've wrung what's available on the web pretty dry.

The dire wolf tooth was from the Flint River, around Albany. I'm not into any professors or museum directors following me around.

My name is Nate Curtis, you're welcome to use it.

Scimitar-cat is far less common than smilodon, but there have been many more found than 2 in Florida. I've personally found two scimitar-cat teeth from two different animals. As far as smilodon goes, I've personally found at least 5 teeth, but know of many more that have been found in Florida. Smilodon material is rare, but there have been thousands of specimens found in Florida.

Thanks, Nate.

I'd be interested in using a picture of the tooth in my book. I don't know, if you've already posted one here or not.

Do you have a website where you sell fossils?

How do you find them? Scuba diving, or just looking in shallow streams?

I know scientists usually screenwash areas near where they find fossils.

The only fossil site in the southeast piedmont area that's been written up in the literature is Little Kettle Creek in Wilkes County back in the early 1970's. They only found a few teeth and fish bones--mastodons, mammoths, bison, deer, two kinds of lemmings, and catfish. They screenwashed the sediment behind a natural quartz dike in the creek after the landowner found part of a mastodon tooth.

The Broad River that feeds into the Savannah River flows through some pretty remote areas and has lots of natural rock dikes like the one at Little Kettle Creek. As far as I know, nobody's looked for fossils there, but I bet that might be a good spot.

I don't take sides in any dispute you have with the scientific community--I'm just interested in the information, so I can make my book as accurate as possible.

Guest bmorefossil
I have found dire wolf in Georgia, and I've found smilodon and scimitar cat in Florida about 50 miles from the Florida/Georgia border.

hmm thats not that far away

Thanks, Nate.

I'd be interested in using a picture of the tooth in my book. I don't know, if you've already posted one here or not.

Do you have a website where you sell fossils?

How do you find them? Scuba diving, or just looking in shallow streams?

I know scientists usually screenwash areas near where they find fossils.

The only fossil site in the southeast piedmont area that's been written up in the literature is Little Kettle Creek in Wilkes County back in the early 1970's. They only found a few teeth and fish bones--mastodons, mammoths, bison, deer, two kinds of lemmings, and catfish. They screenwashed the sediment behind a natural quartz dike in the creek after the landowner found part of a mastodon tooth.

The Broad River that feeds into the Savannah River flows through some pretty remote areas and has lots of natural rock dikes like the one at Little Kettle Creek. As far as I know, nobody's looked for fossils there, but I bet that might be a good spot.

I don't take sides in any dispute you have with the scientific community--I'm just interested in the information, so I can make my book as accurate as possible.

I'll have to ask the current owner of the tooth for a picture. I sell a little on eBay, but mostly just through emails. If there's something you're looking for, let me know. I dive for my fossils.

Don't go to too much trouble to chase down the photo of the dire wolf tooth. It would be neat to have a picture of it in my book though, because it's the only known specimen from a state where it probably was the most common large predator of its time.

Another Pleistocene mammal I believe lived in Georgia, but is so far unreported is the giant short-faced bear (Arctodus simus). I think none have ever been found in Florida, but a skeleton was found in a cave in Montgomery County, Alabama which borders on Georgia. North Georgia may have been the southern limits of its range.

I know other kinds of short-faced bears have been recovered in Florida.