Need A Little Help Here.

Herb

I'm stuck on this one. It's Paleogene from S.Alabama, Gosport Sand formation. Thanks in advance.

post-2520-0-52714200-1392405719_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-41244700-1392405729_thumb.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Herb,

I believe what you have is Conus (Lithoconus) sauridens Conrad, 1833. The shape and smoothness of the body are almost diagnostic. The picture shows the fossil to be in pretty tough shape but there are only two cones reported from the Gosport Sand formation. They are C. sauridens and C. granopsis. We can eliminate C.granopsis because it is fairly small (less than 35 mm). Also several authors suggest it may just be the juvenile of C. saurdens anyway. For a reference see K.V.W. Palmer, 1937, "The Claibornian Scaphopoda, Gastropoda, and Dibranchiate Cephalopoda of the Southern United States", Bulletins of American Paleontology, Vol. 7, No. 32, page 458. This publication is available on-line.

Jim

• I found this Informative 1

The Eocene is my favorite

Thanks,Jim, I'll look up the paper. Any idea where I can find it?

Herb

Edited by Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

That is very cool, thanks a lot. :wub:

It doesn't look organic to me. Can you show the apetural view?

Just for you! It almost looks like melted plastic, but it's real.post-2520-0-56142100-1392503887_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-97358400-1392503896_thumb.jpg

I'm stuck on this one. It's Paleogene from S.Alabama, Gosport Sand formation. Thanks in advance.

attachicon.gifEocene-Gosport-1.jpgattachicon.gifEocene-Gosport-2.jpg

Just for you! It almost looks like melted plastic, but it's real.attachicon.gifEocene-Gosport-3.jpgattachicon.gifEocene-Gosport-4.jpg

Wow these two sets of pictures really demonstrate how you can be fooled by pictures. There is no doubt at all with the second set.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png