claire01

I run across these fairly frequently and have always just assumed they were infilled burrows, but have never asked anyone else to have a look. Is this what these are? Evidence of a decapod of some sort in the area, perhaps? They come in different shapes and sizes, but they all look basically like this. Any help is appreciated :)

post-7100-0-50357000-1392422439_thumb.jpg

Is it full of fecal pellets, or do I misinterpret what I'm seeing?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's what I have always assumed, Auspex, but realized I really had no idea. I've tried researching it, but haven't seen anything online or in my books that looks exactly like this.

Check with Carl; he knows his...pellets. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I have seen a lot of those in the Eagle Ford as well. I don't think they are coprolitic remains but I could be wrong. I lean more towards some sort of burrow or perhaps something else.

• 1 month later...

Possibly not burrow lining, but surface deposited at the burrow mouth: LINK

CStewart: That is simply fantastic! If you have any interest in donating such things to the AMNH I'd be happy to add them to our growing coprolite collection!

Claire: The one you posted here is now AMNH FI 93387 and you are listed as its collector! Thanks again!

CStewart: Yes, it looks like we have the same stomping grounds, I'm surprised we haven't run into each other :)

And Carl: You made my day! I have gathered more and will pop them in the mail shortly:)

Thanks a million, Claire - you just made MY day now! Everyone wins! And just FYI, your other 2 specimens are AMNH FI 93388.

Archived