Two-headed Fossil Reptile Found

jimmy1971

Guest solius symbiosus

Wow! The probability of something like that fossilizing, and then being found, has to be somewhere near 1/∞.

Now that's pathology! You that makes me wonder. Reptiles seem to have an east thing living with the two head mutation. I wonder if something in the reptile family every developed two heads and made a species out of it? I can envision a two heads as an actual advantage for a few types of turtles, I don't know, I'm mostly just talking out loud.

Fossil, it's like a rock, but better.

• 2 weeks later...
Now that's pathology! You that makes me wonder. Reptiles seem to have an east thing living with the two head mutation. I wonder if something in the reptile family every developed two heads and made a species out of it? I can envision a two heads as an actual advantage for a few types of turtles, I don't know, I'm mostly just talking out loud.

I would think that without the ability to reason, two heads would be a serious handicap for any animal, much less an aquatic one like this. I can imagine that this fossilized creature probably starved to death ironocally, as one head would seem to have its sights set on prey "here" and the other might have its sights set on prey "there".

That's just my two cents. Super cool post, and truly a terrifing looking creature.

I would think that without the ability to reason, two heads would be a serious handicap for any animal, much less an aquatic one like this. I can imagine that this fossilized creature probably starved to death ironocally, as one head would seem to have its sights set on prey "here" and the other might have its sights set on prey "there".

That's just my two cents. Super cool post, and truly a terrifing looking creature.

I saw a show on conjoined twins, where they work together almost instinctively, I would imagine that to be true with animals as well, Nature makes creatures adaptable to any handicap.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Guest Nicholas
I saw a show on conjoined twins, where they work together almost instinctively, I would imagine that to be true with animals as well, Nature makes creatures adaptable to any handicap.

Depends, two headed snakes end up fighting each other for food. In known cases of this in animals it has always been a hindrance, with the exception of human beings.

Depends, two headed snakes end up fighting each other for food. In known cases of this in animals it has always been a hindrance, with the exception of human beings.

Exactly. I think the big difference here is the ability to reason. Humans have an innate ability to understand that doing 'x' will result in either a good or bad thing happening. Animals do not in general. Even in primates, their ability to reason and thus cooperate is highly limited.

Ya know, I always wondered what the chances of something like that fossilizing. I figured I'd never see something like that within my lifetime. Given I've still got a few to go before 30, there's bound to be some really cool other snarge that has yet to be found.

Now we know...

i haven't been able to find any close-up pictures of that thing to examine to see if i think it's real.