Gigantic 76 Mm Insect, And Turtle (Entire Carapace)

-Andy-

HI all.

Went for another round of fossil-hunting in old Chinese mineral shops, and this time I was rewarded with two rather spectacular specimens.

post-4888-0-96366900-1392561993_thumb.jpg

First up, a gigantic insect that comes from Liaoning. The end of its wings to its feelers measure an impressive 76 mm. I am assuming it's a cricket, but I would appreciate help in ID-ing.

post-4888-0-87375500-1392561998_thumb.jpg

Secondly, a large soft-shell turtle carapace. I am assuming Trionyx or Anosteira. Unfortunately no locality was provided. All I can say is, the matrix is very crumbly and porus, and is reddish in color.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I'm not seeing the surface texture on the turtle for it to be a Trionychid. Need better photos, and photos of other side.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Those are wonderful specimens. Any chance you were able to take photos inside one of the shops or maybe the front displays/windows? I know that is usually frowned upon at least some places. Curious to know what you've seen fossil wise that you didnt purchase.

Regards, Chris

Very nice bush cricket, Tettigoniidae, haven't been able to find a key for the fossil genera though.

Thank you. I will look at more pictures of bush crickets to see if I can identify it.

I'm not seeing the surface texture on the turtle for it to be a Trionychid. Need better photos, and photos of other side.

Just got a confirmation that it's a Anosteira to my pleasant surprise. Was expecting a Trionyx.

Those are wonderful specimens. Any chance you were able to take photos inside one of the shops or maybe the front displays/windows? I know that is usually frowned upon at least some places. Curious to know what you've seen fossil wise that you didnt purchase.

Regards, Chris

We are discouraged from taking pictures unfortunately. But I will pay a trip down to more old Chinese mineral shops this coming week, I will see if I can take any nice pictures.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

We are discouraged from taking pictures unfortunately. But I will pay a trip down to more old Chinese mineral shops this coming week, I will see if I can take any nice pictures.

Hi Andy, I was just curious to see what they might look like, as I am about seeing all kinds of things. If its custom to not photograph please don't. I don't' want you to offend anyone or cause any issues for yourself or anyone else.

Great finds! Regards, Chris

Nice finds Andy. Are these Chinese shops in China or in Singapore?

Singapore.

These fossils have a long history, the shop-owners or their family came from China decades ago, bringing many minerals, gems and occasionally fossils.

Archived