Difference America And Europe

Edo

When I'm bored I just visit some of the better Meg-selling sites. They are always American and the teeth are always stunning. Some sites sell polished, restored or even painted teeth, others sell them pure and natural. I can understand someone gluing a tooth, but making it look better than it's supposed to be, I can't understand.

In Holland I never met someone who liked polished or restored teeth. So I wonder, is it Dutch not liking repaired teeth, how do you feel about it in America. And why do they repair them.

Grrr Edo

When I'm bored I just visit some of the better Meg-selling sites. They are always American and the teeth are always stunning. Some sites sell polished, restored or even painted teeth, others sell them pure and natural. I can understand someone gluing a tooth, but making it look better than it's supposed to be, I can't understand.

In Holland I never met someone who liked polished or restored teeth. So I wonder, is it Dutch not liking repaired teeth, how do you feel about it in America. And why do they repair them.

Grrr Edo

I've never been a fan of the polished teeth. I like a natural look.

For restored teeth it depends on what was restored. Example, if the tooth was split down the middle but everything else is all real, I'd wouldn't mind that. Having a tooth missing the tip or a root lobe - I wouldn't want one like that restored because it is adding to the natural fossil.

i don't like fake or unnatural anything. but then again, i'm probably some kind of honorary european or something.

All I've ever done is apply a little VERY dilute PVA, where necessary, to the roots to consolidate them. With Abbey Wood, London stuff, the roots often crack and fall apart, when drying. Applying PVA helps prevent this. I prefer natural looking fossil teeth, to polished ones.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Guest Nicholas

For me if I had a huge meg... something extraordinary in size... and it had a missing right side root and say a small chip.. I believe it wouldn't take from the piece having it professionally repaired. However, an average piece I wouldn't bother with repair, seems useless.

I know it is not popular taste but I like teeth to shine.

I would polish if not so lazy....

As far as repair, I haven't really glued too much. I would though

as I don't like several pieces that once were together to be laying

around. All a matter of taste, well more of vision I guess.

Welcome to the forum!

I dont think that is an "American" or "European" matter.

I'm asking me how many dutch megs you can find in "european selling sites" for sale, very, very few for sure.

For me perhaps is a problem of quantity, look at:

Many many meg's teeth (as in US)=many people finding=so some of they are sellers= so, among the sellers, some of they could restoring their teeth for sale=question solved... but I dont think that those ones represents America and neither you represents Europe.

Just a quantitys matter :)

I have another theory, but I keep it for me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

You've certainly got the right of it there, MB! :)

It's not a European thing, nor an American thing, or in my case an English thing, it's simply a people thing...

I prefer natural, but on some of my teeth and bones I do like with a bit of a shine to them, and use a simple water-soluble fixative spray, so you can always reverse the process anytime you change your mind...

Gethin

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "

The heavily polished and restored teeth are what I generally call "tourist teeth". Since there are many more low quality teeth found than collector grade teeth, getting rid of the low quality can be a problem for sellers. If the teeth are enhanced they can be sold to new collectors and, more importantly, to non collectors as curosity pieces. Although a high quality collector tooth is more valuable than an enhanced tooth, the market for teeth that have been "fixed" has grown to be a profitable venture.

I stay away from restored teeth as if it was a plague.

I don't like or think teeth should be polished. As for restoration or repair, I can see some teeth being repaired, and restored only if it's rare. But not to try and increase a tooth's value.