Incisor From Cetacean?

Kman100

Hello, this is not mine, I'm posting it in lieu of someone.

I will try to get info on the location and formation.

I'm not sure if it's an incisor from a cetacean or something like a bobcat or wolf.

Thanks!

post-13135-0-25734400-1392593775_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kman100

-kevin

We can't give a definitive answer until we know the location and geological formation (marine or terrestrial?).

Incisors such as this look quite similar for a number of different animals.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Alright, I'm seeing If I can get that.

But can't you get both marine and terrestrial fossils in the same formation?

Thanks for the help! :)

Edited by Kman100

-kevin

Yes, you can indeed get both marine and terrestrial fossils in many formations. This usually occurs when terrestrial animals drift out across the water and sink, becoming deposited in the marine sediments. But generally knowing where the sediment was laid down (sea floor, river channel, lake deposit etc) sheds light on it's fossils in most cases.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Alright, it was found in frankstown mississipi, and I assume that means 20 mile creek.

However, 20 mile creek seems to be Cretaceous, but this is obviously tertiary tooth, so...

I Found an older thread, which seems to indicate that anomalous 20 mile creeks stuff has been found before.http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/29317-20-mile-creek-frankstown-ms/

Edited by Kman100

-kevin

So have any of the members in Mississippi found anything out of place in 20 mile creek?

Edited by Kman100

-kevin