What's The Best Way To Safely Get This Crab Out Of This Rock?

claire01

I just found this today and want to expose more of it without damaging it. The rock it is in is huge, I'm guessing 10 pounds, at least it felt that heavy on the long walk home:). Any help is much appreciated.post-7100-0-60435300-1392671273_thumb.jpg

*I'm thinking this one is necrocarcinus renfroae?

Edited by claire01

I just found this today and want to expose more of it without damaging it. The rock it is in is huge, I'm guessing 10 pounds, at least it felt that heavy on the long walk home:). Any help is much appreciated.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

*I'm thinking this one is necrocarcinus renfroae?

Slowly.

Well with Most Texas crab concreations I've had I use a vary sharp X-Acto knife and scrape it away. But for harder rock like ones I get in Washington I use my air scribe. Looks like Cenomanocarcinus vanstraeleni I think that's how it's spelled nice one

Edited by DLB
  • I found this Informative 1

Maybe I should post this in the ID section as well. I have a different crab that thought was a C. Van Straeleni, but it looks different to me than this one. Thanks for looking, you guys :)

Not sure of the ID, but it sure looks like it will be a beauty once it is prepped out. Looks like it has the claws and legs.

Prepping depends on how hard the rock is. It looks fairly hard - can it be scratched easily with your fingernails?. The best bet would be airscribe or engraver if it is hard. If you are really keen you can give this ago yourself (there are lots of resources on TFF about it).

You might even be able to arrange to get someone to prep this out for you - for a trade or a fee?

Thanks Dr. Mud, I was so excited to find it I posted the picture after just a cursory cleaning. I'll give it a better scrub today with a soft bristled brush and go from there. Thanks for the advice!