Ordovician Fossils

koltmanns1

After enhancing the photos you can see the typical glabellar lobes for a pterygometopid (Calyptaulax) and a cheirurid (Gabriceraurus).

post-4301-0-63100700-1392681223_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thank-you, When I saw the one originally, I thought it looked like a small grecian urn. It looked like it had three lobes, but I still wasn't sure. Glad I found this site on the internet. Its nice to have a site like this where I can find people who really know their stuff, :)

Not that I'm doubting Scott's ID, but I'd still like to see a clearer pic of that one if you can manage.

Not that I'm doubting Scott's ID, but I'd still like to see a clearer pic of that one if you can manage.

It's actually a simple ID even with this low quality photo. I've added a Calyptaulax for a side by side comparison. Note the large eyes that extend from the axial furrows anteriorly to a point adjacent to the posterior border furrows. Although the details are blurry you can still recognize the ratios of the large eyes and the right side anterior furrow with the outline of the trapezoid-shaped glabellar lobes.

post-4301-0-74150700-1392857192_thumb.jpg

It's actually a simple ID even with this low quality photo. I've added a Calyptaulax for a side by side comparison. Note the large eyes that extend from the axial furrows anteriorly to a point adjacent to the posterior border furrows. Although the details are blurry you can still recognize the ratios of the large eyes and the right side anterior furrow with the outline of the trapezoid-shaped glabellar lobes.

attachicon.gifIMG1.jpg

Your side-by-sides are very useful and convincing but I'd still like to see a clearer photo (if only to encourage the new member to try, for any future posts!)

Your side-by-sides are very useful and convincing but I'd still like to see a clearer photo (if only to encourage the new member to try, for any future posts!)

That's up to the OP of course, my point was to illustrate the basis for the ID of Calyptaulax, even with a blurry photo!

Archived