What's This?

koltmanns1

This one is difficult to evaluate from the photographic angles provided. After reorienting and enhancing image 3 it becomes apparent this is the internal mould of the cranidium of the illaenid trilobite: Thaleops. One of the distinct features of a Thaleops cranidium are crescent-shaped lunettes; defined on dorsal surface both as expansion of axial furrows and disruption of ornament (Amati & Westrop, 2004). Attached for additional comparison are some figures of Thaleops sp. cranidia (DeMott et al., 1987) that illustrate this feature with highlighted arrows showing the lunettes on each of the specimens.

IMG1.jpg

Amati, L., & Westrop, S.R. (2004)
A systematic revision of Thaleops (Trilobita: Illaenidae) with new species form the middle and late Ordovician of Oklahoma and New York.
Journal of Systematic Palaeontology, 2(3):207-256

DeMott, L.L., Sloan, R.E., Shaw, F.C., & Tripp, R.P. (1987)
Platteville and Decorah trilobites from Illinois and Wisconsin. (63-98)

In: Sloan, R.E. (Ed.)

Middle and Late Ordovician Lithostratigraphy and Biostratigraphy of the Upper Mississippi Valley.
Minnesota Geological Survey, Report of Investigations, 35:1-232

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

This one is difficult to evaluate from the photographic angles provided. After reorienting and enhancing image 3 it becomes apparent this is the internal mould of the cranidium of the illaenid trilobite: Thaleops. One of the distinct features of a Thaleops cranidium are crescent-shaped lunettes; defined on dorsal surface both as expansion of axial furrows and disruption of ornament (Amati & Westrop, 2004). Attached for additional comparison are some figures of Thaleops sp. cranidia (DeMott et al., 1987) that illustrate this feature with highlighted arrows showing the lunettes on each of the specimens.

attachicon.gifIMG1.jpg

A systematic revision of Thaleops (Trilobita: Illaenidae) with new species form the middle and late Ordovician of Oklahoma and New York.

Middle and Late Ordovician Lithostratigraphy and Biostratigraphy of the Upper Mississippi Valley.

Wow dude, you're good! I was sold on iron concretion, but then again, I know nothing about trilo's. Good eye(s) :)

Daryl.

attachicon.gifIMG1.jpg

I'm amazed... I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy... Thanks Piranha. I only know about teeth, just because they are pointy and sometimes sharp. That was a real education. MK

Wow, looking at the enhanced photo I take back the concretion ID.

I have never found any trilobites, just brachiopods, stromatolites, and an occasional pelycypod.

*adds yet another title to the books I must procure list*

Welcome! Very cool. You just never know what you'll find! Sometimes nothing turns into really something! Good luck and continued happy hunting!