Mystery From The Windom Shale

Mediospirifer

Here's a piece from my Windom Shale (Middle Devonian) that I'd really like to identify. Anyone recognize it?

post-12648-0-65908700-1392875095_thumb.jpg

I can think of two possibilities, and I'm not sure where to look to be sure.

1) Fish coprolite

2) Worm :P

#1 seems more likely, somehow...

I think this was preserved inside one of the tubular pyrite nodules that are common in this shale. Whatever it is, it's interesting!

It's about 1 mm long.

Edited by Mediospirifer

It's hard to tell what it is but I don't think its a fish coprolite. Fish remains from the Windom are scarce. In NY it's upper or late Devonian deposits that have fish fossils. It was found in a pyrite nodule so maybe it's part of a burrow or feeding trail. Both are very common features in the Windom.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

It's hard to tell what it is but I don't think its a fish coprolite. Fish remains from the Windom are scarce. In NY it's upper or late Devonian deposits that have fish fossils. It was found in a pyrite nodule so maybe it's part of a burrow or feeding trail. Both are very common features in the Windom.

Mikey

I think it came out of a pyrite nodule. If so, the nodule crumbled before I saw it. The color is similar to the pyrite bits I've found, so I thought it a likely association.

My understanding of pyrite formation in shale is that it starts with an organic source, which the pyrite precipitates around to form a nodule, frequently with replacement. I can see that a burrow or feeding trace could produce a pyrite nodule if the critter that made it left a trail of slime or feces...

I might have to try soaking a few other nodules in peroxide to see if I get any other interesting bits and pieces!

Thanks for the input!

Edited by Mediospirifer