Sign in to follow this  
xonenine

Fossil: Palaeoecological And Palaeogeographical Analysis Tools

xonenine

fossil: Palaeoecological and palaeogeographical analysis tools

a rather exciting implementation of Statistical Data Analysis.

It certainly strives to address common modeling and data analysis issues, and has some interesting functions for small data sets, that may not be too accurate, but worth pondering, so it is a very interesting read in that respect.

It also is well documented, "reads" as an easy setup, and needs no proprietary format for the data, another plus. :)

(the actual download and documentation site for these packages is not the same as the address in the PDF, they are available here:)

first install the applicable "R" package, then fossil package

http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/fossil/index.html

post-4577-0-67955100-1393078870_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

Auspex

You are finding, and embracing, tools and systematics developed in the last great flowering of paleontological thinking; its synthesis with evolutionary biology ,and the birth of modern paleobiology. Raup, Gould, Sepkoski, Eldredge, and a whole generation of paleontologists are smiling!

xonenine

it makes me smile, to think of my tiny data set meaning anything, or the thought of mapping a quarry, and extrapolating the next fossil location...but this looks like one of the "Big Guns", for a more serious study :)

I spose the data sets could be combined of course, so maybe a smaller but accurate set is useful

P.S. added correct link for the downloads :)

Edited by xonenine

Auspex

It seems your interest in these analytical methods is piqued! If you haven't already, take a look at this book: LINK. David Sepkoski recounts the origins of the paleobiological revolution, and makes the disciplines relevant. :)

xonenine

I hadn't known of that book, thanks! :)

Edited by xonenine

xonenine

also, "R" the base software, has a self-installer, minimizing (somewhat) the pain of the installation of the packages and usage learning curve :)

Edited by xonenine