Show Us Your Favorite Megalodon Tooth!

TyrannosaurusRex

...What's the vertabrae from?

It's a whale cervical; beyond that, I do not know.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The whale vert and meg look like shark tooth hill material ( temblor formation). About 20 years ago, I knew a fella that would put a whale vert and a meg together in one matrix display piece. They were very convincing. Since he lived in the bakersfield area he had a goodley supply of authentic matrix. However, I don't know if this is one or not !

Edited by PRK

The provenance for this one goes back 31 years, to the finder. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ah ha . The fella was the finder.

Not unless he lead a double life, and I've known him since 1968.

Does B.H. Mean anything to you?

Nope. R.A.B.

That matrix piece just brought back memories of a piece I acquired back then

Eddie;what is the ID on that beautiful little patho tooth?

Edited by PRK

Thanks guys. The patho tooth is a small meg from Aurora, although I guess it could be an early meg/chub that was trying to grow side cusps. :)

Here is my favorite from my collection. Peru 6 1/2". attachicon.gifMegperu2F2.jpg

Really nice tooth. The colors are awesome!

Marco Sr.

These are my favorites. Hence my avatar.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Real nice teeth. How large is the middle tooth?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Hey Marco,

The tooth in the middle, as well as, the two in the back are all 6.25 inches (the middle tooth is perfectly symmetrical as both sides are 6.25"). They are from NC and SC, unfortunately, none were found by myself. The two in the Riker boxes were purchased at the Aurora Fossil Festival auction last year. The tooth on the right is actually the heaviest at over 1 pound 4 oz. the root is so thick I have been unable to find a stand it fits on.

Hey Marco,

The tooth in the middle, as well as, the two in the back are all 6.25 inches (the middle tooth is perfectly symmetrical as both sides are 6.25"). They are from NC and SC, unfortunately, none were found by myself. The two in the Riker boxes were purchased at the Aurora Fossil Festival auction last year. The tooth on the right is actually the heaviest at over 1 pound 4 oz. the root is so thick I have been unable to find a stand it fits on.

That's really interesting that all three teeth are the same size. The center tooth looks so much bigger. There are very few folks who can say that they found a 6.25 inch Meg. The best way in the US to find teeth that size is to dive the rivers in SC and GA.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

The center tooth looks so much bigger.

Marco Sr.

It's because it is in the foreground on a large stand, while the other two are in the Riker boxes, which are sitting directly on the shelve. I could take a photo of them next to each other if you like.

It's because it is in the foreground on a large stand, while the other two are in the Riker boxes, which are sitting directly on the shelve. I could take a photo of them next to each other if you like.

I'm OK on the size but I would like to see a closeup of the Meg on the left in the back. Is that a Meg from the ledge off the North Carolina coast?

Marco Sr.

Here is my favorite from my collection. Peru 6 1/2". attachicon.gifMegperu2F2.jpg

Hey Troodon,

do you also have a pic of the other side of the tooth?

6.5" and from Chile, that is amazing!

Here is my biggest and only complete meg tooth that I've found so far....it's about 2"

(we cant all be so big) lol

post-14584-0-86726500-1393989300_thumb.jpg

But my favorite is my baby meg because of it's rarity!

post-14584-0-75701400-1393989694_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Well mine is only a little over 1"! Pretty megalodon teeth! I've never found one before…

Hey Marco,

Here is a close up of the tooth you asked about, and yes, it is from the Meg Ledge. It has some restoration work to the root and crown, which is why I got it for a price I could not pass up, ha!

post-10890-0-49939700-1393993149_thumb.jpg

I found this tooth in Venice, FL when I was on vacation with my parents, circa 2000. I was like 12 years old. It was, like, kind of a big deal.

post-14392-0-53419600-1393995964_thumb.png

Edited by oneofmetwo

Hi Mexx

Here is the other side and its from Peru

Wow, what an amazing color pattern. This tooth has it all!

Hey Marco,

Here is a close up of the tooth you asked about, and yes, it is from the Meg Ledge. It has some restoration work to the root and crown, which is why I got it for a price I could not pass up, ha!

attachicon.gifMeg.jpg

I really like the color. I hadn't seen teeth from the Meg Ledge until fairly recently.

Marco Sr.