One Wierd Fossil Leaf?

RJB

I really do need to start wearing my glasses when im hunting for some of our smaller fossils. I found this leaf 2 or 3 summers ago. Today I was going through some totes filled with fossils from that trip to do some prepping and get some stuff ready for a show. Apon looking at this with my glasses on, I realized it was no leaf at all but in fact a very nice insect of some kind. It even has those little thingys sticking out the back end. Hows that for scientific terminology? HA!!! I may have to keep this little guy for my own collection.

RB

Oh, this little bugger comes from the Parachute member of the Green River Formation and is eocene in age.

Guest bmorefossil

now i really no nothing about imprints from leaves and insects but looking at what your found it shows chambers as you would see in a worm or something.

well not a worm worm but more like a grub

that is cool, at least you didn't just toss it thinking it was just another small leaf! There's also that little musquito there too!

Crane Fly larva?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It is an aquatic nymph of some sort, probably a dipteran (fly and relatives), crane fly or mosquito would be my vote. Goggle the Paleolist photoalbum and scroll down, you'll see some mass mortality plates from green river containing similar remains.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Seems almost too big for a cranefly larva? But I certainly dont know. I also have some mortality plates of larva which I thought at the time were purty cool, but its such a mass that you cant really tell one from another?

RB

Some aquatic cranefly larvae (not all are aquatic) get nearly 2" long. It may be identifiable at least to family, with a little magnification. Nymphs tend to look very similar though, it would require good preservation and a good professional field guide.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen