Mystery Tooth From Shark Tooth Hill

PA Fossil Finder

This is a small tooth (or denticle?) from some of the Shark Tooth Hill matrix Caldigger sent me. I have no idea what it is!

post-10984-0-88725300-1393095349_thumb.jpg

Middle Miocene in age.

Stephen

In essence, it looks like a fish tooth (the 'cap' on the tip gives me that impression). What are its dimensions?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What are its dimensions?

I knew I forgot something when I posted this ;)

It is 4 mm. long.

Stephen

Here is another mystery I found today:

post-10984-0-95975200-1393108234_thumb.jpg

Middle Miocene in age, 3 mm. long.

Stephen

And these might be baby makos (shortfin or longfin?):

post-10984-0-70953400-1393109806_thumb.jpg post-10984-0-13561700-1393109826_thumb.jpg

Middle Miocene from Shark Tooth Hill.

Stephen

Are these catshark teeth, or Triakis sp.?

post-10984-0-45142300-1393111584_thumb.jpg

Stephen

• 2 months later...

I agree with Al Dente that these are Triakis teeth. Catshark teeth are rare even when you are focusing on micro-teeth, Triakis teeth might be considered somewhat uncommon.

Catshark teeth are generally similar in form but tend have more slender crowns with higher labial folds, more widely branching root lobes that form a U-shaped basal margin, and a distinct lingual protuberance.

Are these catshark teeth, or Triakis sp.?

attachicon.gifDSCF0043.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

The first bony fish : sparidae

post-11962-0-47825400-1400237495_thumb.png

The second : Dentex sp., genus considered as close to sparidae

post-11962-0-54893100-1400238228_thumb.png

Agree with Hastalis posterior tooth

post-11962-0-61808000-1400238242.png

And Triakis sp. or beali

post-11962-0-84934500-1400238254_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifSparus cinctus.PNG

attachicon.gifDentex fossilis.PNG

attachicon.gifhastalis.PNG

And Triakis sp. or beali

attachicon.giftriakis_tanoutensis.jpg

I am always looking for good reference material for fish teeth. Can you point me to the source of your fish tooth figures?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I am always looking for good reference material for fish teeth. Can you point me to the source of your fish tooth figures?

Marco Sr.

I agree. I am tired of just labeling mine 'fish teeth', and really would like to know the real names. :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

I will be the third to agree, it would be nice to find a nice micro reference book or pdf for verts.

Nice finds!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Marco Sr.

My sources are multiple, we find many teeth like that in the French Miocene : "vertébrés (crocodiliens, poissons) du miocène

marin de l'algarve occidentale" M. T. Antunes, S. Jonet, A. Nascimento, for exemple.

My sources are multiple, we find many teeth like that in the French Miocene : "vertébrés (crocodiliens, poissons) du miocène

marin de l'algarve occidentale" M. T. Antunes, S. Jonet, A. Nascimento, for exemple.

Thank you. I just downloaded the paper from the web and it looks like it will be very helpful. It is in French but I can read French pretty well.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

This is great! Thank you. I Google translated it and already recognize many of my otherwise nameless teeth!

With pleasure, that's cool ! Don't hesitate to say that this is informative, I need a little recognition LOL

Well I couldn't get the entire pdf to translate, it's too large. But it doesn't matter as the latin and the pictures are what I'm after right now. Thanks again :)

I'm a french guy, most of the publications are in English, you can imagine what it is for me, i read and speak rather poorly ;)

Hi Selacien34,

I don't think the Sharktooth Hill has been identified to species previously other than T. beali. Unfortunately, that species has been shown to be invalid - based on a tooth fragment too large to belong to Triakis (probably a partial Hemipristis tooth).

Jess

attachicon.gifSparus cinctus.PNG

attachicon.gifDentex fossilis.PNG

attachicon.gifhastalis.PNG

And Triakis sp. or beali

attachicon.giftriakis_tanoutensis.jpg

Hi Jess,

C. hastalis is present at Sharktooth Hill, about Triakis that's strange, it's so close and i have seen references and many teeth sold or presented for that site ... Well, you say that it's now invalid so we stay with Scyliorhinus sp. and Cephaloscyllium sp.. Must see them, but it's too late for that now here. Current Cephaloscyllium :

post-11962-0-59766100-1400468741_thumb.png

About the fishes, that's right, i have based my ID on the Miocene french fauna of the south of France, these teeth are so close, I was too confident. My reference stays a good reference with many genus present in America, but then it must be something else indeed. Perhaps it must seek in this case to the side of Carangidae :

post-11962-0-20056800-1400468762_thumb.jpg

http://www.sharktoothhill.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=news_full_view&news_id=12

Just to be clear, I am not saying that it is not Triakis. It is Triakis beali that is not valid. The teeth I've seen from the STH Bonebed look very similar to the modern leopard shark, T. semifasciata. Shouldn't it be semifasciatus so that it agrees with Triakis? I see it around the web as semifasciata.

Jess

Hi Jess,

C. hastalis is present at Sharktooth Hill, about Triakis that's strange, it's so close and i have seen references and many teeth sold or presented for that site ... Well, you say that it's now invalid so we stay with Scyliorhinus sp. and Cephaloscyllium sp.. Must see them, but it's too late for that now here. Current Cephaloscyllium :

attachicon.gifCephaloscyllium ventriosum-.PNG

About the fishes, that's right, i have based my ID on the Miocene french fauna of the south of France, these teeth are so close, I was too confident. My reference stays a good reference with many genus present in America, but then it must be something else indeed. Perhaps it must seek in this case to the side of Carangidae :

attachicon.gifCarangidae.jpg

http://www.sharktoothhill.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=news_full_view&news_id=12

Archived