Kagillions Of Ammonites In One Rock! Wow!

RJB

I had forgetten about this until today while going through one of my sheds. My youngest son actually found this, along with a couple more, but this is truly amazing! Just ammos stickin out all over the place!!! Top, bottom and sides just chokoblock full of ammos!! YeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Actually they are hetoromorphs called Scaphites whitfieldi and were found in South Dakota 2 years ago and are cretaceaus in age. Once I get this prepped out its gunna make for one heck of a display piece!!! Wow!!!

RB

Ammonites, Trilobites, fish, leaves......if this is what is thrown to the back of your shed I would love to see what you have sitting toward the front. Hurry with the prep on that ammonite block please.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

I had forgetten about this until today while going through one of my sheds. My youngest son actually found this, along with a couple more, but this is truly amazing! Just ammos stickin out all over the place!!! Top, bottom and sides just chokoblock full of ammos!! YeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Actually they are hetoromorphs called Scaphites whitfieldi and were found in South Dakota 2 years ago and are cretaceaus in age. Once I get this prepped out its gunna make for one heck of a display piece!!! Wow!!!

RB

A block of ammonites with a little bit of contaminating rock! :D

Fox Hills material?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very cool. Ammonites are probably my favorite, mainly because it was the first fossil I found, and to have that many in one rock is amazing. Great find! Can't wait to see how it preps out.

Thanks everyone. Its going to be a real challenge to prep it out because thye are soooo delicate and fall apart very easily, so there will be lots of 'stop and glue' to save as much shell material as possible. Probably going to be one of those projects where you do a little and put it away for awhile and come back to it many many times.

Auspex, not the Fox Hills, but to tell you the truth, I dont remember which formation? I do rmember that it was the Pool Creek Memeber of something or ruther along part of the Cheyene River. (no idea how to spell that one?)

RB

I would love to rummage through your shed. My shed has lawnmower and motorcyle. lol

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Great stuff Ron!! Your collection never ceases to amaze me...

I hope you're gonna post a pic for all of us to drool over when you've preped that one... ;)

Gethin

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "