xonenine

How Do You Measure Up?

Missourian

A thought....

A blank, printable CD or DVD would make a good field scale. The disc is exactly 12 cm. A scale can be drawn on with a sharpie (or printed on, if you have a printer that can handle discs), and sealed off with some kind of finish. A bull's-eye pattern of 1 cm rings would work. I'm thinking of something like this:

post-6808-0-56511000-1393300461_thumb.png

Edit: My drawing indicates a 14-15 cm disc, but you get the idea.... :) Also, the outer black ring would be exactly 10 cm.

Edited by Missourian

xonenine

you're going to make me try the Lightscribe for the first time ever, lol. I have a couple for the novelty, what a disappointing geek I am, to have never tried it - course It'd be too reflective, your idea is worth thinking about more though

edit: Eric will like the nightmares you can expect to happen with these CDs... :)

Light Scribe wiki

post-4577-0-89305600-1393302116_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

Wrangellian

Yup... I think these come under the category of my maxim "things that are supposed to be able to do more than one thing, do none of them well" (at least not all of them well - certainly not as well as things that are devoted to one purpose only). But that doesn't rule out unintended uses like perhaps the photo scale!

Edited by Wrangellian

xonenine

I will try to get back to the basic Rulers and Scales, though I really like the Photoshop Scales also... :)

here's a bad one I thought would be nice. But it is shiny, has an enlarging bar, and that distracting yellow...I'm not sure what I was thinking, cept I like Rulers so much I look for excuses to trot them out

post-4577-0-06392800-1393476322_thumb.jpg

Wrangellian

I would just crop that photo.

Coco

Hi,

Of all the scales, the one I prefer is to indicate the size in cm or in ". Everybody can understand that 1 cm = 2,54" and it is easy to do conversion.

A hand, a phone etc... There is all the sizes and it will never be precise. On all my home-made pics I indicate the size in cm and, most of the time, I make the effort to add it also in ", specially for you, Americain friends ! ;)

Coco

xonenine

I would just crop that photo.

:)

post-4577-0-47143300-1393587723_thumb.jpg

Wrangellian

:)

Where's the ruler go?

I was thinking more like this:

post-4372-0-83805600-1394235641_thumb.jpg

Auspex

It is good to support the scale at the same level as the specimen, so that they are the same distance from the lens; perspective can really mess things up!

piranha

I prefer to add the scale in a photo editing post-processing program. This method doesn't suffer any focus or depth of field issues that sometimes distorts the perspective or the scale in relation to the photographed object. A little extra work is involved but definitely worth it for a very sharp and precise end result.

post-4301-0-97175600-1394238740_thumb.jpg

xonenine

thanks Scott, I was hoping you'd show a good example of Photo Edited Scales. This seems the neatest solution most times, as much as I enjoy the scales and rulers :)

xonenine

It is good to support the scale at the same level as the specimen, so that they are the same distance from the lens; perspective can really mess things up!

thanks for pointing that out Chas. Often in haste, I will forgo setting up the tripod, turning on the lights, or composing my subject properly. It almost always boils down to doing ALL the steps in my workflow/process, which when combined work great...

xonenine

Where's the ruler go?

I was thinking more like this:

attachicon.gifpost-4577-0-06392800-1393476322.jpg

here is the photo with a photoshop ruler applied and another with the same ruler inverted to hide all but the demarcations :)

post-4577-0-67439700-1394376698_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-81754400-1394376710_thumb.jpg

xonenine

and here is a link to one set of rulers in various formats for Photo Editing - if transparency is enabled for the ruler layer during editing, easy and precise scaling is achievable :)

Free Vector Ruler, Triangle & Protractor

post-4577-0-35448200-1394376798_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

Wrangellian

That looks good... I guess the digital insertion is the way to go if you've got the time (and for publishing/presentation purposes - most of my photos aren't good enough to worry about this), I have tried it but I find it's kind of an involved process to get it in there at just the right proportion, though I guess it doesn't have to be exact, as the physical ruler doesn't quite provide an exact scale either given the depth issues and so on.

But including an actual ruler with the subject is quick and good enough for putting something in the ID section (better than nothing which is often all you get!), and probably your only option for field photos unless you're measuring things as you go, in which case why not take a picture with the ruler in it..

xonenine

granted this example shot isn't the best to show scaling, it gets the idea across. The scale is at 50% transparency, where it can be viewed to resize as needed. Myself, I'd like Laser printed scales like this 1/16ths film I made, or a photoshop scale, as magnification won't cause pixilation :)

post-4577-0-81614300-1394411463_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-36510500-1394411666_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

xonenine

here is a link to one of several on-screen rulers, this one can be configured, just another gadget... :)

https://sites.google.com/site/rulerhelp/welcome

and the more popular JR Screen Ruler http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/jruler.htm

post-4577-0-06845000-1394854107_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

lissa318

I saw this tattoo online today and thought of this post for some reason... lol :D

post-8801-0-44695400-1397953888_thumb.jpg

Missourian

I saw this tattoo online today and thought of this post for some reason... lol :D

attachicon.gifIMG_20140419_202653.jpg

That is one tattoo kids shouldn't get for practical reasons.... :)

xonenine

attachicon.gifIMG_20140419_202653.jpg

that's one way to always have a ruler :)

Sylvestersen

That cube is nice.. wait, $20 or 30?? I think I'll make my own. What do the W and T mean - width, thickness?

A while back I just cut a 1cm square piece of paper and marked it with "1cm" and used that. Then I started finding that even that small piece of white threw the light balance out so I colored it grey and that helped noticeably!

For larger items I have a wooden ruler similar to John's.

If the color doesn't matter. You can have a Package of 1cm squares (500 pieces) in10 assorted colors for only 12$.

http://www.aimsedu.org/item/1952/centicubes-pkg.-of-500/1.html

Sagebrush Steve

Here's a PDF version of the ruler.  When you print it, be sure to select "Actual Size" in the PDF Print dialog box.  Then laminate it and cut it to size using a straight edge aligned to the alignment marks.  Right now the back side of the ruler is blank, but if anyone has any ideas about what should be on it, let me know and I will create something (and no, the geologic time scale has already been taken!).  This is designed for US letter size paper but if I need to create a version for A4 paper, let me know.

Inch-mm scale v3.pdf