xonenine

How Do You Measure Up?

sdsnl
15 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Here's a PDF version of the ruler.  When you print it, be sure to select "Actual Size" in the PDF Print dialog box.  Then laminate it and cut it to size using a straight edge aligned to the alignment marks.  Right now the back side of the ruler is blank, but if anyone has any ideas about what should be on it, let me know and I will create something (and no, the geologic time scale has already been taken!).  This is designed for US letter size paper but if I need to create a version for A4 paper, let me know.

Inch-mm scale v3.pdf

May I ask how you were able to make it actual size? Did you use photoshop or some other program?

Sagebrush Steve

The easiest thing to do is to download and print the PDF version, not the JPEG version.  Just make sure you select "Actual Size" in the print dialog box and it should be fine.  If you want to print the JPEG version you have to first open the JPEG image then copy it into a graphics program like Photoshop Elements.  It is designed to be printed at 600 pixels/inch, so you need to change that number without changing the number of pixels.  It's easier to just print the PDF version.

PDF Print.JPG

sdsnl
1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

The easiest thing to do is to download and print the PDF version, not the JPEG version.  Just make sure you select "Actual Size" in the print dialog box and it should be fine.  If you want to print the JPEG version you have to first open the JPEG image then copy it into a graphics program like Photoshop Elements.  It is designed to be printed at 600 pixels/inch, so you need to change that number without changing the number of pixels.  It's easier to just print the PDF version.

PDF Print.JPG

Thanks, I wanted to make some small edits, moving things around to create the rule in a different size to fit my need. I guess if I just make the edits in powerpoint then import it into photoshop and select the right pixels and resolution I should be ok?

Sagebrush Steve

That should work, but here is how I would do it.  Click on the JPEG graphic in my post above so you open it to the full resolution graphic.  Then copy that graphic and paste it into Photoshop.  There you can resize it to 600 Pixels/inch.  Make sure that when you do that, the box called "Resample Image" is not checked.  The graphic is now sized correctly.  Save that image and import it into PowerPoint so you can make your edits.  I would just print it from PowerPoint, I have never liked the quality of JPEG images saved from PowerPoint.  I created the original using Visio, so if you have access to Visio I can post that file here and you can edit it from the original.

Resize.JPG

snolly50

Thanks, useful.

sdsnl
On 11/24/2016 at 5:46 AM, Sagebrush Steve said:

That should work, but here is how I would do it.  Click on the JPEG graphic in my post above so you open it to the full resolution graphic.  Then copy that graphic and paste it into Photoshop.  There you can resize it to 600 Pixels/inch.  Make sure that when you do that, the box called "Resample Image" is not checked.  The graphic is now sized correctly.  Save that image and import it into PowerPoint so you can make your edits.  I would just print it from PowerPoint, I have never liked the quality of JPEG images saved from PowerPoint.  I created the original using Visio, so if you have access to Visio I can post that file here and you can edit it from the original.

Resize.JPG

Thanks, I don't have Visio (still using office 03 :p), is it good?

Sagebrush Steve
9 hours ago, sdsnl said:

Thanks, I don't have Visio (still using office 03 :p), is it good?

Yes, PowerPoint 03 should be fine.  You will also need an image editing program like Photoshop or similar to resize the jpeg.

Sagebrush Steve

OK, I had some time on my hands and nowhere to go fossil hunting, so I've decided to simplify the ruler design. I have made it narrower so rather than laminating it, you can protect the surface using a single width of Scotch Heavy Duty Clear Packaging Tape or equivalent.  Here's a link to the PDF version: Inch-mm scale v6.pdf, and here's an example of how to use it:

Ruler.jpg

aerogrower

This thread got me thinking about photo cubes so I gave it a shot. What do you think? Pictures with the phone aren't the best but....20170208_080954.thumb.jpg.d726fbb1c519145efa2ba70267352c9e.jpg20170208_081154.thumb.jpg.7cae9d39efe55cb350a99c4fd82724c8.jpg

Fossildude19

Aerogrower,

Looks good. 

My only advice would be to use a photo editing app to try to brighten and crop your images.

20170208_080954.jpg.03f843057826f5de417b9524f9787b1d.jpg      20170208_081154.jpg.640c5df0a46a80161be9d0d3fe0ad337.jpg

Too many times, the extra background limits the detail to the fossil. :) 

Regards,

aerogrower

Looks like I need to polish the cube a little more lol. Closer you get the more the machine marks show up...I can fix that!

Ludwigia
On 21.12.2016 at 10:24 PM, Sagebrush Steve said:

OK, I had some time on my hands and nowhere to go fossil hunting, so I've decided to simplify the ruler design. I have made it narrower so rather than laminating it, you can protect the surface using a single width of Scotch Heavy Duty Clear Packaging Tape or equivalent.  Here's a link to the PDF version: Inch-mm scale v6.pdf, and here's an example of how to use it:

Ruler.jpg

A little late, but I first noticed this today thanks to a request somebody made in a recent thread. Thanks for creating and offering this. Very handy. Now I can store it right next to my photo cube :D

Fossil Claw

if these were made in plastic and offered on TFF, I bet it would be a goo fund raiser to keep the forum up and running.  Who would pay a few $$$ for  TFF ruler?

Kane
On 2/8/2017 at 8:19 AM, aerogrower said:

This thread got me thinking about photo cubes so I gave it a shot. What do you think? Pictures with the phone aren't the best but....20170208_080954.thumb.jpg.d726fbb1c519145efa2ba70267352c9e.jpg20170208_081154.thumb.jpg.7cae9d39efe55cb350a99c4fd82724c8.jpg

One tip I would recommend when taking pictures with phones and tablets is to fiddle with the light exposure. High contrasts can get washed out by the device's natural inclination to equalizing the light levels. If you have an iPhone or iPad, tapping a dark or light area before snapping the shot can change the exposure. Not sure if other phone brands have the same or similar feature. Barring that, as Tim suggested, post-editing to the rescue. :D 

fifbrindacier

Nice ruler, i want one.:)

Sagebrush Steve

14 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Nice ruler, i want one.:)

If there is enough interest I can see about getting them professionally printed and cut to size.  I'm willing to fund the printing (up to a point!) and give them to a TFF moderator to sell at a reasonable price and generate some revenue for the forum.  But only if there is enough interest to justify the effort.  

SailingAlongToo
14 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

If there is enough interest I can see about getting them professionally printed and cut to size.  I'm willing to fund the printing (up to a point!) and give them to a TFF moderator to sell at a reasonable price and generate some revenue for the forum.  But only if there is enough interest to justify the effort.  

The key will be getting them printed on sturdy media. Paper and or card stock won't work very well, medium to long term.

Mylar or Tyvek may be good.

I'm definitely interested in a couple dozen.

Sagebrush Steve
1 minute ago, SailingAlongToo said:

The key will be getting them printed on sturdy media. Paper and or card stock won't work very well, medium to long term.

Mylar or Tyvek may be good.

I'm definitely interested in a couple dozen.

Yes, understand.  Anybody know what Society of Vertebrate Paleontology prints their ruler on?  I've seen it in many photos but never held one in my hand.  I was thinking either Mylar or Tyvek also.

fifbrindacier
2 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I would be interested by this but for us, on the other side of the water, to post a package of less than one kilo costs 23 €, so i guess i would have to buy a lot of rules for this to be worth.

Sagebrush Steve
1 hour ago, fifbrindacier said:

I would be interested by this but for us, on the other side of the water, to post a package of less than one kilo costs 23 €, so i guess you would have to buy a lot of rules to be worth.

It is small enough to fit in an ordinary envelope so if you only wanted one or two I think the international rate would be $1.15 US.

fifbrindacier

Ok, that fits me better, thanks.

Fossil Claw

I'm in