Vertebra From Late Cretaceous Of Tennessee

Tennessees Pride

Good morning to all,

This is my first post, i will try to respond as timely as i can (getting accoustomed to controls).....it had to happen @ some point. :) as, i have viewed this forum for awhile now and really like it. It seems to be the best place for engaging those with the same passion. Hello to all!

This is a vertebra my mother found last week while were hunting a late Cretaceous site. At first i thought Mosasaur or perhaps Crocodilian, but haven't so far seen identical specimens from those same animals. What remains of the centrum appears to be the front and is very rounded. The neural spine is quite large for a centrum so small...isn't it?.... any ideas...

post-14571-0-55756300-1393601619_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

Welcome to the Forum. Not sure what you've got there but it is very interesting.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Thank you very much Squali & Lissa318! :) Xiphactinus, this will be awsome if it's bison, i have questioned if it were actually from the cretaceous formation being exposed in the sides of the creek. It was found in creek wash sediments. Do you think there may be a possibility it is a sheep thoracic vertebra?

--- Joshua

I'm with Xiphy... bison or cow (or horse?). Too big for sheep or deer. Ddefinitely mammalian and not Cretaceous.

Edit: But wait, maybe there is no vert on a horse with such a long neural spine.

Thanks guys, i am impressed. Sheep is all i know that were raised around there, so perhaps this is bison.

--- Joshua

I do however have a large vertebra from a late Cretacous period which my hands did remove from the original matrix, it weighs 7 1/2 pounds! So far it is unidentified, should be inspected by a professor by the end of the month. I will post it in just a bit for identification, if possible. I can see is the right place when one has questions!

--- Joshua

Archived