Feb28Th-High Quality Meg

Shellseeker

Thanks for all the good responses to this tooth. They are very difficult to find in the Peace at this quality. -- maybe 1 or 2 a year.

Beautiful tooth! Meg? Or GW.

There are almost no GWs in the Peace River -- I have only found 2 - one was broken in 5 years. The unbroken one was 1.5 inches. Here is a GW:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/30436-29-inch-chilean-great-white-tooth/

Compared to Megatooth shark teeth, Great Whites are much thinner and smaller with less robust roots. Also Great White teeth do not have a bourlette, whereas Megatooth sharks have a very wide and noticeable one. Finally, Great White teeth have very coarse and irregular serrations, compared with the regular serrations of the Megatooth sharks.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I guess the large serrations and very small chevron fooled me. No matter meg or GW, I want one like that! And I'm not even a sh th guy

Edited by PRK

PRK -- you are correct. It is a rather narrow bourlette. In the beginning I thought every Meg with a narrow bourlette was a GW. I would love to find a GW because they are so rare where I hunt. But like you say -- this is a very Special tooth and sits in a place of honor in my collection.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"