Pleistocene Volcanic Fossil-Tree Mold Fragment

NZ_Fossil_Collecta

there's a "fossil forest" about 10 minutes drive from my house, consisting of tree molds in volcanic rock formed when a local volcano erupted around 200,000 years ago, in Pleistocene times. the lava probably had the consistency of runny porridge, and when it ran around the trunks of ancient trees some of the larger ones were resilient enough to still be there when the lava cooled. of course, the trees died, but as they rotted away they left permanent holes where whey once were. there is one big enough to swallow a man, and therefore has been blocked off. i found a smaller mold, and broke off a small piece off a ridge inside of it. it's not much in the picture, but it's got a story behind it.

clicky clicky!----> post-13660-0-28424900-1393720693_thumb.jpg

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

Ya' know, that's really a pretty neat specimen to have!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanks! it's my first true self-found fossil, so i'm proud of it.

• 4 months later...

Are you talking about the fossil kauri forest in Takapuna? I've been there. Its a cool place:-)

-Lyall

I assume that's from the Takapuna reef forest, but I read that in recent months a second forest consisting mostly of small upright tree trunks in their growth position has been temporarily exposed in the middle of Takapuna beach. The report I saw said it was "much older" than the reef forest but didn't give a date. Any news at your end on what that date might be?

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

not sure mate, i haven't been to check it out myself and it could get covered back up by the sand soon :(

Archived