Missourian

The Lawrence Formation near Lawrence, Kansas has produced siderite concretions containing horseshoe crabs and spiders, at least. I have not had the pleasure of finding any myself, though.

Also, would you include the arthropod-bearing concretions from the UK?

Stocksdale

Here's a paper I found that gives an overview of the siderite locations in US and Europe.

Carboniferous plants preserved within sideritic nodules – a remarkable state of preservation providing a wealth of information

Looks like I should include the UK locations, France, Poland and Nova Scotia.

It appears that the siderite formation is a pretty common occurrence in the Pennsylvanian. And usually at the same point in the cycle. I assume that it has something to do with the unique anoxic condition of decomposing peat from the coal forest being buried suddenly by salt water and sand.

Stocksdale

I've added Crockhey, UK with some info I could find.

And a link to a webpage of photos of some of Terry Dactyll's finds I think.

Edited by Neophytus Elginian

Auspex

In N.W. Pennsylvania, east of Allegheny National Forest and south of Smethport, there is a small, flooded strip mine (a few miles from our family camp), last active 100 years ago (supplying coal to the tram railroad that was hauling the last of the Black Forest to the mills). It is hopelessly overgrown now, but 50 years ago the spoil area (circled) was loaded with coal-swamp trunks & roots, and innumerable siderite concretions. Splitting these nodules yielded a recognizable fossil about one time in ten, and while being no where near the quality of preservation of Mazon Creek concretions, they were the subject of endless summer days of fascination by this young boy. :)

post-423-0-78639600-1393773953_thumb.jpg

Roz

On page 78 from the book, "Pennsylvanian Fossils of North Texas", that

at the lower portion of the Finis Shale from the base of the hillside at

Jacksboro, both siderite and phosphatic nodules are found. It's the Finis Shale member

overlying Jacksboro Limestone Member of the Graham Formation. That could be safely added to

your list I would think.

bombahc

I have heard of siderite occuring in Warren and McKean counties (Allegheny National Forest), and other locations near the Allegheny Resevoir.

Kosmoceras

It is a great shame that Crock Hey is now gone.