Sign in to follow this  
templegeo

Student Looking For Some Help

templegeo

Hey all,

I am a senior at Temple in the Geology program. I am currently doing research on vivianite from the Hornerstown Formation and I am hoping someone here might be able to help. I have been to Inversand, and I am in contact with Dr. Lacovara at Drexel, however I am looking to hopefully find out where I might find some more outcrops. I have heard that it can be found on Crosswicks Creek, and also on Raccoon Creek but some insight would be awesome.

Cheers!

Auspex

I don't know about the Hornerstown exposures (someone here will, though), but I am interested in vivianite and fossils.

I suppose you are already familiar with "Blue Babe"? LINK

Xiphactinus

We occasionally find vivianite on bones here in St. Louis county, in Coldwater Creek. (Pleistocene clays, about 40,000 yrs old)

Auspex

Not specific, but: LINK

Map references: LINK

Plax

there is lots of vivianite in NJ, get a list of Hornerstown exposures and look in the weathered sections. I think that vivianite only forms in weathered sections. At Mullica Hill it is just under the rotten leaves in a slope where it fills cavities in the leached rock. You might contact Ned Gilmore at ANSP for help on this subject.

squali

i'll send a PM with a pretty good exposure

templegeo

there is lots of vivianite in NJ, get a list of Hornerstown exposures and look in the weathered sections. I think that vivianite only forms in weathered sections. At Mullica Hill it is just under the rotten leaves in a slope where it fills cavities in the leached rock. You might contact Ned Gilmore at ANSP for help on this subject.

Do you happen to know where I could find a list of Hornerstown exposures?

Plax

start with the state geo map and look in the outcrop area in stream banks, The Mosasaur, DVPS's pub had an issue with several sites in that formation. think it was volume one or two. The Marlton area has some good exposures as I recall.

squali

I use the USGS maps provided as open source files from NJGS

That's the only real "list " I know of.

Edit: removed bad link

Edited by squali

newryqs

I just edited the Hornerstown page at Mindat. http://www.mindat.org/loc-6952.html There are at least three gps markers that are valid for the area. The gps marker for Hornerstown itself is just for the village. The short discussion on the probable occurrance of the phosphates nodules is on that page and two refernces are given so you can chase down the literature. Please let me know what species you encounter. Maybe you will find santabarbaraite as well as vivianite?

squali

Thank you for posting the link of your work and sharing what you've learned.

newryqs

There are both vertebrate and invertebrate fossils in the formation and unreplaced material is found near the base of the formation and hence the origin of phosphate for nodule formation. Monmouth Co. has lots of gps markers for Hornerstown Formation outcrops. Good luck!

Best Wishes, Van