Thanks To Fossil Forum Friends For The Hunt.

Dave Daniel AKA (Bones)

This last week, I left a blizzard in Colorado on business trip through N.M. and all the way to Dallas.

I had a reunion scheduled with Fruitbat and Ignacio since I haven't seen Fruitbat in 25 years.

Several Fossil Forum members went out of their way to meet up to go collecting. Friday we met at

the Waffle House in Denton. UUUMMMMM. Waffles..... and then hit about five exposures from there

to bridgeport through the day. It was a very successful trip, finding everything from echinoids to crinoids

even a trilobite or two. Thanks to Mike Murphy and Snakekeeper for going out of their way to meet us

and be tour guides. Saturday was not the day for NSR. So we went Sunday. Started at the Paris bridge.

Mike found a nice Mosasaur vert, I got an Pleistocene horse digit, everyone found sharks teeth.

We went to Ben Franklin to find it was totally under water, and ended up the last of the day a Ladonia,

where the only thing we brought back was about 30lbs. of mud attached to our boots.

But you know what they say. The worst day of fossil hunting is better than the best day at work, or

the best day in a blizzard in Colorado.

It was great to get out in the sun with friends and enjoy the venture.

Heres a picture of the crew on the NSR.

Left to right. Erica Gallo (Fruitbats daughter) Fruitbat, Snakekeeper, me(bones), Mike Murphy, Ignacio

I can't post pictures until I get back to Colorado. Hopefully, the others will.

post-1026-1231769712.jpg

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Old and new acquaintances, and fossils; great road trip!

Are you gonna' screen the boot mud?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i love pleistocene digits. i've got a "seven" with sandstone all over it.

sounds like a great trip. and thanks for the picture.

My legs are sore this morning from dragging all that mud around.

New friends, old friends. It was a GREAAAT time.

I did find my first sharks tooth by screening. COOL!

Would have liked to have met Tracer, but it's a long way for you.

Always good to meet someone that has a weird of mind as I do.

Very nice salenia!

Hi Roz it's actually a phymosoma.

We had fun on the trip although we didn't find huge quantities of material.North Texas needs a gulley washer!

It was great meeting everyone and it was educational for me to eaves drop and listen to the conversations of seasoned paleontologists. Here is some of the pennsylvanian material.post-417-1231805706_thumb.jpgpost-417-1231805743_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful trip. I wish I could see the pictures but for some reason, they are not comin up? Hmmmm?

RB

Maybe try again, RB, not sure why they are not

coming up for you.

Thanks for the correction, snakekeeper, and I found one

of my first trilos (have one more I think), that

looks just like yours. Also found in the Bridgeport area..

I think they are one of the coolest fossils!

Very nice snails too...

Welcome to the forum!

Man..that sounds like a really fun trip! I wish I could have gotten away and tagged along. I still want to find my first trilobite and my first phymosoma or salenia. I love those fancy echs! Sorry to hear the NSR finds were slim. Now that I've started fossil hunting as a new hobby I look at rain in a whole new way! I can't wait for those Spring rains to come.

Thanks for the correction, snakekeeper, and I found one

of my first trilos (have one more I think), that

looks just like yours. Also found in the Bridgeport area..

I think they are one of the coolest fossils!

]I like the little trilos too.You should have seen the two or three examples that Mike brought along to show off"incredible" He actually gave me this little complete trilo that is enrolled. The ones I found were incomplete.

The one in situ I found too.When I got home I dropped it down the sink drain by accident.It might be still in the pea-trap, but I haven't checked.Too lazy and sore from the tripLOLpost-417-1231816028_thumb.jpgpost-417-1231815990_thumb.jpg

Great stuff, guys. Hey Barry, did Mike confirm your echie ID? :P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The one in situ I found too.When I got home I dropped it down the sink drain by accident.It might be still in the pea-trap, but I haven't checked.Too lazy and sore from the tripLOLpost-417-1231816028_thumb.jpgpost-417-1231815990_thumb.jpg

Down the sink! I always think that's going to happen to me. I wash my fossil in a minnow net so I don't loose any.

Sorry you lost yours but it sounds like you had a great trip!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Great stuff, guys. Hey Barry, did Mike confirm your echie ID? :P

Well not directly! Dave and I yelled out to Mike to ask if there were phymosoma in the area.And he said yes.He found one as well that was darker colored than mine,but about the same size. Why, is it not phymosoma?

Ha , we wondered who had been out there in force , today , we made it by NSR found a couple of Teeth .

Trilobites are my favorite little creatures , very old bugs .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Well not directly! Dave and I yelled out to Mike to ask if there were phymosoma in the area.And he said yes.He found one as well that was darker colored than mine,but about the same size. Why, is it not phymosoma?

Not sure; I'm still learning echinoids. It looked like some of the tubercles were perforated...I was thinking Loriolia. Mike, Dan, Lance, or someone will weigh in.... Do you have another pic?

Here are a few pics from the trip.post-417-1231804284_thumb.jpgpost-417-1231804317_thumb.jpg

I think Mike said this one below was a Craiginaster. He brought it the next day at the NSR after he had cleaned it up, and it was beautiful.

I was standing right next to him when he spotted it. I didn't reach fast enough. He's quick for an old guy. (Hah)

I am sure he will be posting pictures by Thurs. He had to work out of town. I want be able to until Friday. The long trech back to the snow.

But I will be back in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, we can do it again.

Not sure; I'm still learning echinoids. It looked like some of the tubercles were perforated...I was thinking Loriolia. Mike, Dan, Lance, or someone will weigh in.... Do you have another pic?

Here are a couple more.

One of these days I'll buy a macro lens!

I'm a big echinoid fan after seeing the one that Mike prepped.

I don't have a media blaster of any kind and my echinoid has some pretty hard matrix attached.

I'll just leave it the way it is for the time being.

It looks to be complete and fully inflated though.

You and Dan heading out this weekend?

post-417-1231864336_thumb.jpgpost-417-1231864421_thumb.jpg

Awesome pics and it looks like everyone had a good time, wished I could have meet up with everyone, maybe next time, give me a shout.

JohnJ:

I can confirm that the regular echinoids that snakekeeper and I found in the Grayson Friday were Phymosoma rather than Loriola. Loriola, in addition to having perforate tubercles, has uniserial pore pairs in the ambulacra from the apical scar to near the peristome. Immediately above the peristome, Loriola commonly has pores in series of 3, either as arcs or as diagonal. Phymosoma has imperforate tubercles and biserial pore pairs from the apical scar to near the ambitus and unserial below the ambitus.

Both of the regular echinoids that were collected Friday have biserial pore pairs above the ambitus, which distinguishes them from Loriola. In addition, the primary tubercles in the ambulacra and interambulacra are imperforate, although some of the tubercles have discolored centers that might resemble perforated tubercles. The tubercles are definitely imperforate. In addition, the interambulacra have 2 primary imperforate tubercles per plate except proximally near the apical scar where there are single primary tubercles per plate.

The small size, the circular outline, the low profile, the slightly convex upper surface and the flattened to slightly depressed base combined with the similar sized primary tubercles in the amulacra and the interambulacra more closely conform with the description of Phymosoma volanum (Cragin), 1893 rather than other species of Phymosoma. Until I can clean and study mine more closely, I cannot confirm that these echinoids are Phymosoma volanum, however, however, and I am not certain what quality will result.

When I get back home, I will try to get some pictures of the prepped Craginaster completa and the Phymosoma. I will have to try to use the digital camera at work since my personal digital camera was stolen from our luggage Christmas eve on our way to Fort Worth. The camera does not have a macro setting for close-ups.

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

That's why I just print your posts and save them for reference...great info. Thanks.

Barry,

Not sure yet; but my canoe is yearning for more cold water....

Ahh man, me and my daughter were just north of you doing some hunting in our creek. Wish Id known yall were there. Oh well maybe next time. Glad yall found some stuff. We found some teeth then came upon an old dump and started digging up old bottles. Found some good stuff.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Mike,

That's why I just print your posts and save them for reference...great info. Thanks.

You too huh? Very informative posts aren't they?

He really needs to write a book! :rolleyes: