Thanks To Fossil Forum Friends For The Hunt.

Dave Daniel AKA (Bones)

Ahh man, me and my daughter were just north of you doing some hunting in our creek. Wish Id known yall were there. Oh well maybe next time. Glad yall found some stuff. We found some teeth then came upon an old dump and started digging up old bottles. Found some good stuff.

What kind of teeth? marine,terrestrial.

I really like the bottles when you come across them.

I've heard that searching old privies"out houses" is the way to go for old bottles.

You have to do your research though!

Have any pictures of your finds?

What kind of teeth? marine,terrestrial.

I really like the bottles when you come across them.

I've heard that searching old privies"out houses" is the way to go for old bottles.

You have to do your research though!

Have any pictures of your finds?

Still don't have a good camera. I guess i need to get one. The teeth were ptychodus and some other Im not sure of. Found one real nice Anchura snail shell, we find lots of them. The most interesting bottle my daughter found, it was a small amber brown colored Vaseline jar. I looked it up on the internet and it turns out it came from the man who trademarked the name Vaseline and first started bottling it. I found it for sale on one site for $60. The old paris dump runs through where we hunt at, its where all the stuff was taken after the great fire back at the turn of the century.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

[ The old paris dump runs through where we hunt at, its where all the stuff was taken after the great fire back at the turn of the century.

Ohhh-Ahhhh, I wanna go!

Well, I'm finally back in Colorado. 16 hour road trip. I'm pooped.

Heres a few pictures of our trip from Denton to Bridgeport and the Sulfer, trilobites, echinoids, horse.

We found a little bit of everything and yes, even the kitchen sink.

post-1026-1232030953_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1232030992_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1232031036_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1232031075_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1232031362_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1232031397_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1232031438_thumb.jpg

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Great trip pics; the "in situ sink" in particular :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great trip pics; the "in situ sink" in particular :P

Would you consider that sink, Holocene? I like it because it's a double. (Very Rare!)

I found the p-trap down stream. It articulated with the sink rather nicely. But I didn't include it because I could prove the two were associated.

I will post more as soon as I get some batteries for my camera.

hey, forgot to warn ya - it's "literal thursday". so you gotta watch what you say. tj would tell ya those are not crinoids - they're limey/shaley likenesses of crinoid columnar segments with one spiney thing thrown in that i can't remember what it's called, but it hangs out near the um, excretory orifice on the cowlicks if it were real and not a limey/shaley likeness.

hey, forgot to warn ya - it's "literal thursday". so you gotta watch what you say. tj would tell ya those are not crinoids - they're limey/shaley likenesses of crinoid columnar segments with one spiney thing thrown in that i can't remember what it's called, but it hangs out near the um, excretory orifice on the cowlicks if it were real and not a limey/shaley likeness.

actually, they look like crinoids to me. CRINOIDS! by the way, if this man bothers any of you just let me know. i happen to keep my rock hammer with me at all times.

cool trilobite!

On my way back from Dallas, I went a couple hours out of the way to check out the Dinosaur museum in Tucumcari, NM

I usually do that to see local collections.

FYI, it was poorly done. No local material to speak of.

Only a couple of notable pieces poorly exhibited and cast.

Not worth the time to stop at in my opinion.

Gave me a break for the long drive.

post-1026-1232121721_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1232121758_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1232121789_thumb.jpg

Dave:

I finally came up with some pictures of the Craginaster completa and the Phymosoma volana from the Grayson Formation. The Craginaster cleaned up pretty well (other than 1 small over-abraded spot where there was some harder matrix. The Phymosoma volana has not been cleaned yet. I have attached pictures of the 2 echinoids. In addition, I attached the photographs of the 3 Ditomopyge scitula from the Lower Bridgeport Shale. I wish that we could have found some of the yellow to yellow orange nodules with higher quality trilobites for you guys on this trip. At least I was able to provide one complete trilobite for each of you. The lack of rainfall and the collecting pressures play heck with collecting in this area. I aplologize for the photo quality as I had to use an old digital camera until I can replace my stolen one.

I look forward to more collecting trips with you, Nacho, Snakekeeper and Fruitbat. I really enjoyed talking about old times in the DPS, especially stories of your adventures with Ken and Fruitbat way back.

Regards,

Mike

post-153-1232350166_thumb.jpg

post-153-1232350183_thumb.jpg

post-153-1232350194_thumb.jpg

post-153-1232350212_thumb.jpg

post-153-1232350224_thumb.jpg

post-153-1232350239_thumb.jpg

Dave:

I finally came up with some pictures of the Craginaster completa and the Phymosoma volana from the Grayson Formation. The Craginaster cleaned up pretty well (other than 1 small over-abraded spot where there was some harder matrix. The Phymosoma volana has not been cleaned yet. I have attached pictures of the 2 echinoids. In addition, I attached the photographs of the 3 Ditomopyge scitula from the Lower Bridgeport Shale. I wish that we could have found some of the yellow to yellow orange nodules with higher quality trilobites for you guys on this trip. At least I was able to provide one complete trilobite for each of you. The lack of rainfall and the collecting pressures play heck with collecting in this area. I aplologize for the photo quality as I had to use an old digital camera until I can replace my stolen one.

I look forward to more collecting trips with you, Nacho, Snakekeeper and Fruitbat. I really enjoyed talking about old times in the DPS, especially stories of your adventures with Ken and Fruitbat way back.

Regards,

Mike

Hey thanks Mike for posting. We are all getting old, fat and grey. (accept for me) LOL

I'm coming back in a couple of weeks. Snakekeeper and several of us are planning on POC while I am there. Hope you can join us.

Yes thanks for posting the cleaned Craginaster. It tured out real nice.

How long does it usually take to clean an echinoid of that size?

I'm assuming you used baking soda as a media......

Snakekeeper:

The Craginaster readily separated from the Grayson matrix with a minimum amount of residual matrix on the upper surfaces of the test. The oral surface was fairly clean from exposure and required only some air abrasion cleaning of the peristome. Most of the thin film of matrix on the surface was removable with water and a brass wire brush on a dremel tool. Using sodium bicarbonate abrasive and a nozzle with an orifice of 0.060 required only about 35 to 40 minutes at 45 psig. Most of the time was spent cleaning the ambulacra, periproct and persitome. Where there was more matrix present, I tried increasing the velocity and tried the abrasion at a more vertical angle. That was a mistake. I ended up eroding a small part of the test on the unpaired ambulacrum (the dark spot). I guess that this is what would be expected with a non-professional preparator! Still, all in all I was pleased with the results.

The Phymosoma has more adherent and more consolidated matrix. It will probably require more air abrasive cleaning. I may try KOH amd water on it first to minimize time and abrasive consumption. I may have to resort to dolomite abrasive, but I don't like working with dolomite.

The air abrasive unit that I use is a Master Air Abrasive Etching Airbrush that was purchased from a hobby store. It does a fairly nice job although it has limited abrasive storage. It cost $300, but it has worked adequately. It does not have some of the features of the better units, however. One of these days, I will break down and purchase a better unit such as a White or Crystalmark air abrasive unit. If only they weren't so expensive.

Regards,

Mike

The Phymosoma has more adherent and more consolidated matrix. It will probably require more air abrasive cleaning. I may try KOH amd water on it first to minimize time and abrasive consumption. I may have to resort to dolomite abrasive, but I don't like working with dolomite.

The air abrasive unit that I use is a Master Air Abrasive Etching Airbrush that was purchased from a hobby store.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the info.I know what you mean about the hard matrix on the Phymosoma! I'm searching around for a mid priced air abrasive tool as we speak. I know there is a beauty under the matrix on my specimen. At least I have some Hemiasters and Macrasters to practice on before I attempt the Phymosoma.

Archived