Possible Lignite Cone

Tennessees Pride

This specimen is late Cretaceous, formation is of marine origin. This perhaps could even be the central part of a depleted cone??? Pollen cone of some sort??? It has a hollow passing through it from end to end. It appears that it cracked somewhat and that surface area then filled in with sand.

post-14571-0-88053500-1393918984_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-07673600-1393919136_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

bored coprolitic mass? If the holes were aligned in a specific pattern I'd think it was a cone as well.

Plax, sir, perhaps you're right, but so far i've never heard of coprolite turning to lignite. Of all the coprolite specimens i've been able to collect, they have the consistiency and density more like a stone.

--- Joshua

Even a cycad cone could be a possibility, yes?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Even a cycad cone could be a possibility, yes?

Absolutely, the specimen has certain resemblances typical of Cycads, however, i'm not studied enough to be able to narrow it much more.

--- Joshua

Plax, sir, perhaps you're right, but so far i've never heard of coprolite turning to lignite. Of all the coprolite specimens i've been able to collect, they have the consistiency and density more like a stone.

Didn't realize it was made of lignite TP. Sorry about that. I saw marine and figured it was phosphatic.