Lance Formation Fossil Id

troodon_hunter97

Here are several bones that may possibly be crocodilian or from a small dinosaur. The two smaller ones look somewhat like phalanges. The larger on seems to be a tibia but not sure what from. Any identification of these bones would be a great help.

If you go to fossil.swau.edu and type 18615, 18828, or 22119 into the browse tab you can view a 360 degree animations of these bones.

HRS18615_0032.JPG

HRS18828_0028.JPG

HRS22119_0032.JPG

I can't see enough of the first two to say anything, but indeed the last one looks like a croc tibia. I tried to get the 360 view of 18615 to work, but it is taking forever to download. And 18828 gave me some nice pix of a hadrosaur fibula.. not one of these bones.

22119 works well. That is the tibia.

Thank you JPC.

Here is another bone that I am trying to figure out what it is from. It is a scapula but what it is from I really don't know.

A 360 degree view is also at fossil.swau.edu under 08395 in the browse bar.

HRS08395_0032.JPG

Wow, what a great website. Lots of data, and the 360 photos are a wonderful resource. (Although it would be helpful to have end-views of the bones as well.)

The tibia is a dead ringer for a small hadrosaur. Might want to double check other small ornithischians. Not a crocodile; their tibiae are much simpler bones with simpler epiphyses. Hadrosaurs (and many other animals) have 3 "bumps" on the lateral side of their proximal epiphysis, with the middle bump offset to one side. The distal end has a nice angle to it. (Incidentally, the photos are upside-down, showing the distal end at the top.)

Thanks again Opisthotriton. After doing a quite of bit of searching, decided it was from a Thescelosaurus.

Thesc would make sense. The bone texture and epiphyses seem too mature for a hadrosaur of that size.

I will bow to ophis's expertise here. I checked out 08395... scapula was my first guess, but the curvature on the down (in the photo) end is more than I would expect. But it is a thin sheet of bone with a slight concave aspect, and a thickening on the bottom end. I am going to stick with a scapula, but not sure which animal.

Stumped on the scapula...not turtle, not crocodile, not champsosaur, not any of the obvious dinosaur options...or maybe it's not a scapula at all. Weird clavicle or fish part? I feel like I've seen this bone before, I just can't hunt it down.

Archived