How Do You Fix Broken Fossils?

Fossilzombie

one way to fix fossils

without much travail

clean them up gently

and mark them for sale

your eyes will be drawn to those flaws in the end

it's better to trade them with one of your friends :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

It depends on the scale of the break and what is broken. I tend to use glue and sometimes I make up a chalk based filler for large cracks in the matrix but this would not be the same method I would use on broken fossils from a different formation.

post-4683-0-56403600-1394131838_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-99842700-1394131840_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-02272100-1394131843_thumb.jpg

Do I take it you have a broken fossil or are just curious?

Regards,

My initial glib answer was due to the fact that there are about as many ways to fix a fossil as there are types of fossil. Repair and restoration could be a whole subforum on TFF. If you have a spcific one in mind, post pictures and we can help.

Gel crazy glue. You can grind/sand a real fine powder from some of the extra matrix and slowly mix in a little white glue (Elmers) until you get a spreadable paste that can be used to fill holes and gaps.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived