A Museum Grade Exogyra

Tennessees Pride

This is the most intact specimen i've ever held. From a Coon Creek formation. About 72 mya. It does have a small chip along its outter edge missing...this happened in the collecting process in the field, also a spot of minor water-wear. I woild call this a 10, if not for the small damage, it would be a 10+ in my mind. A google search doesn't really show much that is on this specimens level.

I have speculated that the reason this Exogyra is so complete is because it doesn't show good signs of an attachment scar. (From whatever it had originally stuck itself too.) This is just me guessing, but i like to envision this creature was stuck to something that over time just wasn't able to hold this shell to it, from there it fell to a place on the bottom in which sediments accumulated @ a faster rate. This lil guyfought as long as he could, but one day, the sediments that had been deposited on his upper surface became too great to bear....and that was the last day this shell ever opened!

Always been curious "what's in there" :D. Have read that Exogyra's die in an opened position. You can see this specimen is still locked in @ the hinge. It appears to me it died in a closed position? @ any rate, this is the most complete example i've ever seen.

post-14571-0-64161500-1394212634_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-34043600-1394212705_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-66123600-1394212787_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

This one right here is what i would normally call "good condition" for around home.

post-14571-0-00266700-1394213654_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-14486700-1394213732_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-45502700-1394213802_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

nice Exogyra.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Ill second That's a beauty.

Edited by squali

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Very nice. It's hard to find a modern oyster down at the beach that is in that good a shape.

That'll keep.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Exogyras are common at Big Brook, NJ but tend to be overlooked because everyone is so focused on finding teeth. Thanks for bringing some attention to this interesting species. That's a very lovely specimen. Thanks for posting and congratulations.

I wish people around here were focused on finding teeth - leaving more of everything else for me! ;)

Of course you'd have to be crazy not to pick up something like that, no matter what you're really after..

• 1 month later...

I wish people around here were focused on finding teeth - leaving more of everything else for me! ;)

Of course you'd have to be crazy not to pick up something like that, no matter what you're really after..

Sir, i can sure identify w/ that. :)

--- Joshua

I do collect the Exogyras at Big Brook, but ones without damage from Cliona and as perfect as yours are rare. Nice find.

Edited by Scylla

A very nice example indeed. We have some locals with abundant EXOGYRA PONDEROSA in North Texas, They make a nice beginners fossil so I pick up a lot of them for the kids, Sometimes I'll pick up a really good one and carry it around for a couple of hours only to see an even better one to swap it with. This goes on all day and I'll exchange them many times. Several of these big guys can get pretty heavy so I try to restrict myself to only one on a given hunt. More often than not I find it difficult to cull between several excellent examples and wind up hauling more than one out of there. They always seem to be able to put a big smile on those small faces so it's very much worth the effort.

I do collect the Exogyras at Big Brook, but ones without damage from Cliona and as perfet as yours are rare. Nice find.

I'm sure it's also good to have one or two with Cliona damage, as a specimen of such, no?

I'm sure it's also good to have one or two with Cliona damage, as a specimen of such, no?

Oh, yes I've collected some riddled with holes like Swiss cheese just for that reason!

Yes, that really is an excellent specimen! Congrats.

I've started finding much different, younger aged oysters around here recently and have bringing them home. I used to ignore oysters but some of their ribbing and ornamentation patterns have started to grow on me....no pun intended. Regards, Chris

Sirs, many thanks to you all!....Xiphactinus, Herb, squali, Ludwigia, Wrangellian, Danwoehr, Jeffrey P,Scylla, wfrr, and Chris.

--- Joshua

A very nice example indeed. We have some locals with abundant EXOGYRA PONDEROSA in North Texas, They make a nice beginners fossil so I pick up a lot of them for the kids, Sometimes I'll pick up a really good one and carry it around for a couple of hours only to see an even better one to swap it with. This goes on all day and I'll exchange them many times. Several of these big guys can get pretty heavy so I try to restrict myself to only one on a given hunt. More often than not I find it difficult to cull between several excellent examples and wind up hauling more than one out of there. They always seem to be able to put a big smile on those small faces so it's very much worth the effort.

That's very kind of you, & your reward will be great for having such a good heart. :)

--- Joshua

Oh, yes I've collected some riddled with holes like Swiss cheese just for that reason!

I think this might be that swiss cheese everyone is talking about....

post-14571-0-85590900-1398141639_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-73180200-1398141692_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

I think this might be that swiss cheese everyone is talking about....

That's the stuff, two fossils in one!