Why Do Hadrosaur Eggs Come In So Many Shapes And Colors?

-Andy-

I am in the market looking for a Hadrosaur egg, and i am quite bewildered by the sheer number of variation in their shapes and colors.

I am aware that fossilization and prepping methods differs, but I honestly wasn't expecting such a wide spectrum of different Hadrosaur egg types.

post-4888-0-91604300-1394353321_thumb.jpg

So perfect it actually looks like it might hatch anytime

post-4888-0-08501700-1394353324_thumb.jpg

Round, firm and cracked

post-4888-0-56716900-1394353326_thumb.jpg

Flattened just like an Oviraptor's

post-4888-0-19222900-1394353329_thumb.jpg

Bowling-ball type!

Edited by -Andy-

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

To my eye only #1 and #3 are "Hadrosaur shaped." It is difficult to tell from a photo, but I suspect the color variation shown by #4 is the product of a mineral coating and the white color is removable through prep. In my experience #3 displays typical Hadrosaur coloration.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The colors will vary by locality and mineral content as well as prepping (some might be painted to enhance contrast, or consolidants could change the color). Shape may vary by preservational issues, some will be more flattened than others, and there will be species differences in shape and texture. However I think you also have to consider that you are delving into one of the darker areas of fossil collecting and fakes abound in the egg world.

Ive got a couple of eggs that looks exactly like the top one in your photos, but I have no idea as to where they are?

RB

I bought a bunch back in the 90s and they ran the spectrum. Hatched eggs came with a matrix base with the opening in the rock so the egg is upside-down. Un hatched eggs are whole and free of matrix, your "bowling ball" type. Sometimes I would buy the unprepped eggs and clean them myself to save money like your #2 and #3. I was told by my vendors and from the accompanying literature that they are all the same species but no one really knows for sure. I haven't followed up on the information I had back then but I'm pretty sure they haven't found the Dinosaur responsible for these eggs.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png