Have We Found A Lower Jurassic Dinosaur?

Welsh Wizard

Nick,

That is great news!

Congratulations!

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I'm having a really good day. The Museum has confirmed the fossil me and my brother found is a dinosaur.

Pictures of the bones have been sent to an expert for identification. So the question is, what type?

Here's some pictures of one of the claws before and after prep:

post-11234-0-53732100-1395166424_thumb.jpg

post-11234-0-07588200-1395166450_thumb.jpg

It is a small dinosaur, about the size of a dog and hopefully one of a kind.

Regards

Nick

Awesome news. :D Congratulations.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Whaoooo... you got a claw?!!! That is ubercool. Yes, that is an ornithopod type claw. I know nothing about early Jurassic dinosaurs. Matter of fact, not many people do, they are very rare. This is a very cool find.

Congratulations! That is a really cool find!

:meg dance:

And good luck with it being a potentially new species.

Very cool news! Congrats! Im sure we would all love to see more pics of your doggy dino! Who knows, if it prooves to be a new species you guys have full rights to name it!!!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I guess it is pretty rare. From the research we've being doing, Jurassic dinosaurs from the UK Hettangian are almost non-existent.

Charlie.

The bones are still being prepped. By my guesstimate, we've got about 1/3rd of the animal and the bones are coming out like they are new. Our intention is to post some photos when it's finished and we've agreed a way forward with the museum which we are donating it to.

Thanks

Nick

Excellent stewardship of this fantastic fossil find!

Congratulations, and thanks for donating this!

Best Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Find of the <insert time frame here>.

This is enormously exciting; congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Two choices of programs to watch to night :

1st..

Feathered Dinosaurs Episode 2 of 3 on BBC four

DURATION: 1 HOUR

Professor Richard Fortey travels to northeastern China to see a fossil site known as the 'Dinosaur Pompeii' - a place that has yielded spectacular remains of feathered dinosaurs and rewritten the story of the origins of birds. Among the amazing finds he investigates are the feathered cousin of T-rex, a feathered dinosaur with strong parallels to living pandas and some of the most remarkable flying animals that have ever lived.

Or :

Nicks dinosaur find.

:popcorn:

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Very cool news! Congrats! Im sure we would all love to see more pics of your doggy dino! Who knows, if it prooves to be a new species you guys have full rights to name it!!!

Yes, very cool.. and I'm glad you guys will be donating it to the museum. But no, you won't get to name it. That gets done by whoever writes up a scientific description of the beast. You could certainly throw some ideas at them... "can we name it meandmybrotherosaursus"

Keep up the excellent work. How are you guys prepping it?

Gorgeous claw! Congratulations! Hopefully the museum will let you be as involved as you want to be with the scientific analysis. If you help write the paper (maybe by contributing the locality description), that would be very exciting, but if you're not an author, then they're allowed to name the animal after you. Either way, it's an honor you deserve!

we've agreed a way forward with the museum which we are donating it to.

Well done, congrats! Good luck with the prep.

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Hi

Thanks for the comments.

Early indications are that it's a theropod but there's quite a bit of work to do yet.

Preparation is being done using sodium bicarbonate and to give you an idea of the skill of the preparator, here are the remains of a sea urchin that's lying between the dinosaur bones.

post-11234-0-51914100-1395343737_thumb.jpg

If you want an idea of how difficult this is, this picture shows what we think are the remains of the skull.

post-11234-0-93329700-1395343909_thumb.jpg

This block is going to be backed and prepared from the other side, just like the dapedium fish I posted last month, although there will be no acid used. Even if we can only recover a fragmentary skull, we will be really pleased.

All the best

Nick

Looking good Nick! Im beyond excited for you guys! I cant wait to see what the lil' guy looked like!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Are you going to enter this for FOTM? I guarantee it would win, and probably be find of the year too.

I personally think that this will turn out to be a new dilophosaurid species, judging by the age, or a juvenile megalosaur,

Wow, Nick! This just keeps getting better. :popcorn:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Absolutely amazing! The type of thing dreams are made of. Well done!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Are you going to enter this for FOTM? I guarantee it would win, and probably be find of the year too.

I personally think that this will turn out to be a new dilophosaurid species, judging by the age, or a juvenile megalosaur,

Hi Carcharodontosaurus. We'd like to enter it but will wait until its prepped if that's ok.

Thanks

Nick

Archived