Harris

Large Sharks Teeth & Trilibotes

Harris

I ran into a guy from Northeastern PA, while on a Amethyst dig in Virginia, this last weekend. He was telling me about large sharks teeth and large trilobites being found in Pennsylvania. I was unable to find him to further discuss locations...does anyone know of this to be true and where would these sites be...Thank you!

Plax

Western PA isn't good for trilobites as I recall. Only Kaskia and another obscure one or two. Eastern & Central PA have plenty. Get some lit or do some googling there are plenty of sites.

The sharks teeth are paleozoic and not what you're accustomed to looking at. Collected some that do look like more modern sharks called Xenacanthis (may have this misspelled). Got them on the WVU Campus in Morgantown WV just across the line from PA. Same formation occurs in SW PA. Again, you can google "paleozoic sharks, PA" and see what you come up with.

Harris

Plax, thanks for the information! I get down to a couple places in S.C., no too much in N.C. My niece goes to WVU, I'll ask her if she knows of or can find anything out about the site you spoke of...I'm a member of the N.C.F.C. but can't get too many events/trips because of work/distance. I do however go to the Peace river every winter...in your member picture it looks like you are much more North, sifting, because of the foliage on the trees. If you are ever up this way, I have some very good sites for plant fossils.

Harris

Plax

the best teeth I got at WVU were from slabs barely exposed at "The Towers" where my daughter stayed in her freshman year at WVU. The big blocks on top of the hill between the Law Center and the stadium were also productive. You'll need a small sledge and cold chisel on the latter.

We got nice plant fossils in the valley near a K-Mart. Not sure of the store but it's a small town and a big shopping center with a steep cut in the back.

We are in Rocky Point which is in Pender County in SE NC. Often mistaken for Rocky Mount up north near the virginia line.

I belong to NCFC and am a former member of MAPS and DVPS. The first volume of the NCFC fossil book is available now.

trilobiteruss

Trilobites are from the Cambrian Kinzer Fm, in Lancaster County area of Penn, and are species of Olenellis and such. Some can be 4-6 inches long. Locations are hard to find however. Most were collected in areas now in housing divisions but there are outcrops in these areas I hope to one day visit.

russ

Harris

Russ, if you get up this way, I know of a great place to get vegetation plates/fossils. Also thinking about going down to Green Mill later in the year, going to stop and see George Powell, while I'm there...do you live far from Green Mill Run? Take care, Harris

Harris

Russ, thanks for information about WVU, my niece is graduating from there this year going to ask her if she can put me in touch w/somebody from the vertebrate Paleo department...going to Summerville the weekend of the 28th and then Scientist Cliff, the 5th

Harris

Plax

am about 2 hours SE of greens mill run, search Burgaw NC

Plax

Trilobites are from the Cambrian Kinzer Fm, in Lancaster County area of Penn, and are species of Olenellis and such. Some can be 4-6 inches long. Locations are hard to find however. Most were collected in areas now in housing divisions but there are outcrops in these areas I hope to one day visit.

russ

Hey Russ, Harris is a couple hundred miles west of Lancaster as far as I see. If you know of Pennsylvanian or Permian trilobite sites out that way for him I'm sure he's appreciate them.

married2rick

I know where you can find trilobites in Snyder County, Pa.

I'm in Lancaster County Pa.

PM me if you get in my neck of the woods.

Nebfossil
On 3/30/2016 at 8:12 PM, married2rick said:

I know where you can find trilobites in Snyder County, Pa.

I'm in Lancaster County Pa.

PM me if you get in my neck of the woods.

Got any places you want to go in Lancaster I’m always game