Hair Of Tasmanian Tiger Yields Genes Of Extinct Species

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

ScienceDaily (Jan. 13, 2009) — All the genes that the exotic Tasmanian Tiger inherited only from its mother will be revealed by an international team of scientists in a research paper to be published on 13 January 2009 in the online edition of Genome Research. The research marks the first successful sequencing of genes from this carnivorous marsupial, which looked like a large tiger-striped dog and became extinct in 1936.

Find the article HERE!

That's right, sports fans: there were Thylacines at the National Zoo 100 years ago!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas
That's right, sports fans: there were Thylacines at the National Zoo 100 years ago!

Less!

A thought just crossed my mind, do they not have a fetal Thylacines in a jar in a lab somewhere?

There have been reports of people seeing Thylacines in the wild. All unverified of course.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Guest Nicholas
There have been reports of people seeing Thylacines in the wild. All unverified of course.

It has become a cryptzoologist fan favorite. I've not been convinced by their findings as of yet though.

Guest bmorefossil
It has become a cryptzoologist fan favorite. I've not been convinced by their findings as of yet though.

maybe they will make an episode on "monster quest", dont think they have found anything on that show but it might help open some new ideas

When I was at the Smithsonian a while back I was so dissappointed with their mounted Thylacine. They had it behind a curtain with a Dingo in front of it. You could barely see it, but I had to take a photo anyways.

post-40-1231872973_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold