post-9628-0-31219600-1394674075_thumb.jpg

I've spent the last two days tormented with putting this display together. And I learned a lot!

So I thought I would share what I learned. :)

This is being taken to a show, so the viewing will be significantly different than at home.

I'm assuming kids, so the viewing area is between 4' & 5'.

The selection of fossils and rocks is pared down to the most colorful.

post-9628-0-98201100-1394674440_thumb.jpg

This is an 18" tube blacklight from Walmart - <$10

post-9628-0-85943500-1394674628_thumb.jpg

This is going to be in a bright area, so to see the fluorescence it needs a really good curtain.

I used some blue jean fabric I had around and lined it with blackout 2 mil Mylar - love this stuff!

I purchased some double stick velcro and applied it to both sides and the front of the aquarium top.

post-9628-0-52112300-1394674908_thumb.jpg

I sewed the curtain and the Mylar together on the sewing machine.

Those folds in front?

Wicked! I broke 3 needles and gave up; I will hand tack the one side down.

But you can stick your face in there, hold it around your chin and get a good look.

post-9628-0-56365400-1394675129_thumb.jpg

I've got black cardstock paper glued inside the aquarium on 3 sides -

inside because it will be easier to transport.

Risers and tape for...

post-9628-0-52385500-1394675051_thumb.jpg

What I finally ended up with was a foamboard platform that I siliconed the rocks/fossils and labels onto. Yes, SILICONE! Doesn't fluoresce and holds rocks and paper. Comes off easily when desired.

And it needed to be slanted for viewing, so that is what the roll of tape is for.

post-9628-0-13291700-1394675532_thumb.jpg

Here are the top pieces including a piece of foamboard to close up the back 3".

To get the sign to stay in place I used what was left of the velcro. :D

post-9628-0-36599800-1394675623_thumb.jpg

Here are the rocks and fossils on the floor on the foamboard.

post-9628-0-59426900-1394675679_thumb.jpg

I'm not too good photographing fluorescent fossils, but I am blatantly promoting TFF.

Hope this helps someone!

It was sure a learning experience for me!

Edited by Bev

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Success! Where there's a will there's a way. Nice job, Bev. Now you just have to haul the whole thing to the show. I'm sure it will be much appreciated. Thanks for posting it.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thanks guys! I will take lots of pics at the show and do a post show report! For all of this work I am just hoping for good attendance and not another snow storm! We are still under 2' of snow here. :-(

I am really looking forward to seeing MinnBuckeye's incredible Ordovician ocean bottom displays he has made out of his fossils! The pics I saw are just stunning. I want to see it in person!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I just found out the other day that our ordivician fossils really light up under SW.

I would never have guessed.

What are you using that glows under LW?

Faribault BTW

I have found that our Fisherites often glow under blacklight. I only have a one bulb shortwave that shows very little fluorescence and I can't afford a bigger unit.

Hey Foxtail, if you are around Fairbault and would be open to it, I would like to put you in touch with a cub scout leader who is interested in her boys learning about fossil hunting. She wants me to come up there and I have explained to her that I don't know the area. I downloaded a map of Rice County for her and it shows a lot of Ordovician there. Please PM me if you would be open to an email conversation with her.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I just don't want to have anything to do with them. They do not treat all of the kids equally, some kids are better than others.

I fully understand that! My children were in the scouts, 4H, little league, high school team sports, etc., etc. I was a divorced single parent and I quickly came to understand that it wasn't about the talent of the kid, etc., it was all about the name of the family or the parent's job - Farm Country...

But that is okay because you know, both my children never got into trouble with the law, got their Bachelor's, daughter got her Masters. and they are doing better than most of those "big name" kids. Their talent and dedication proved out in the end. :-)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

:thumbsu: foxtail

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I sometimes wonder if adversity doesn't build empathy and good characte: whereas affluence builds... wanton disregard for others???

I think there is now some new term out there for that - recently, I believe in Texas, a very affluent teen was aquitted of manslaughter while under the influence because he was so insulated by wealth that he couldn't comprehend the consequences of his actions. And the courts reinforced this with acquittal???!!! Reinforcing that affluence buys exemption and privilege?

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

In my experience, the moral compass is not directed by age, gender, race, beliefs, status, nor wealth. I know stand-up, caring folks with every combination of these things, and there are just as many with the same circumstances who are devoid of such redeeming virtues.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In my experience, the moral compass is not directed by age, gender, race, beliefs, status, nor wealth. I know stand-up, caring folks with every combination of these things, and there are just as many with the same circumstances who are devoid of such redeeming virtues.

Ah, you are so right Auspex!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I sometimes wonder if adversity doesn't build empathy and good characte: whereas affluence builds... wanton disregard for others???

I think there is now some new term out there for that - recently, I believe in Texas, a very affluent teen was aquitted of manslaughter while under the influence because he was so insulated by wealth that he couldn't comprehend the consequences of his actions. And the courts reinforced this with acquittal???!!! Reinforcing that affluence buys exemption and privilege?

I believe the term coined for that was "affluenza".

And I'll second Auspex. There are compassionate and helpful, as well as selfish, people in all walks of life. It just seems like the selfish people get ahead more by cheating the system for all they can get!

I believe the term coined for that was "affluenza".

And I'll second Auspex. There are compassionate and helpful, as well as selfish, people in all walks of life. It just seems like the selfish people get ahead more by cheating the system for all they can get!

:goodjob:

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I think it comes down to engendering values at an early age, but even that doesn't always work.

Cool fluorescent display, by the way. :)

Context is critical.

I discovered that our fossils glow a bit under LW too.

Fossils from limestone often (if not usually!) include calcite, and calcite is fairly often fluorescent. Whether a given piece is or not depends on the trace elements present. So, fluorescence in limestone fossils is cool, but not unusual.

I should look at some of my local limestone fossils and check for fluorescence!

I will be doing a review of the show today, but have to say that the fluorescent fossil/rock display was a big hit! Congrats Foxtail on checking some of your fossils and seeing the fluorescense, it adds a whole new dimension to them, in my humble opinion. :-)

Go to my

Pinned Posts: