New To Fossil Hunting, What Gear To Have?

Dinosaurus

Im new to fossiling and was wondering what fear to have?

The best tools?

Clothes? Etc.. can anyone help?

It kind of depends on the type of fossil hunting you are doing, but the short list is:

Rock Hammer - I like Estwing brand - I have 2 - one with the pointed end, and one with a chisel end.

3 lb Sledge/crack hammer.

Pry bar. For getting out rocks/concretions from the surrounding matrix.

Cold Chisels for splitting rocks.

Pack to carry finds out.

First aid kit. Basic things - something to make a sling/tourniqet, band aids for cuts, emergency blanket,... etc.

Safety glasses/goggles.

Work Gloves.

Good sturdy hiking or work boots - preferably with Steel toes. You'll thank me when that rock falls on your foot!

Cell phone, snacks, water. Make sure cell phone is charged.

Always tell someone where you are going. Make sure they know how to get to where you will be.

Always go with someone.

If you search the Forum for "Tools" you should find some similar threads, with some more advice.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I see you are in Dorset, so you will probably be collecting from coastal exposures. A vital bit of equipment is a tide table and a watch. Getting cut off is more than a little bit dangerous.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

It kind of depends on the type of fossil hunting you are doing, but the short list is:

Rock Hammer - I like Estwing brand - I have 2 - one with the pointed end, and one with a chisel end.

3 lb Sledge/crack hammer.

Pry bar. For getting out rocks/concretions from the surrounding matrix.

Cold Chisels for splitting rocks.

Pack to carry finds out.

First aid kit. Basic things - something to make a sling/tourniqet, band aids for cuts, emergency blanket,... etc.

Safety glasses/goggles.

Work Gloves.

Good sturdy hiking or work boots - preferably with Steel toes. You'll thank me when that rock falls on your foot!

Cell phone, snacks, water. Make sure cell phone is charged.

Always tell someone where you are going. Make sure they know how to get to where you will be.

Always go with someone.

If you search the Forum for "Tools" you should find some similar threads, with some more advice.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

what he says plus small sample bags, newspaper or aluminum foil to wrap specimens, water and energy snacks

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 weeks later...

the first aid kit and gloves are a must i onetime only had a screwdriver when i wasnt really hunting and said ahhh i wont get hurt.....yeah........hand slipped into the rock which was as sharp as glass and took a chunk of my thunb with it lol:) true story i have gloves in my car now:P

• 5 weeks later...

Amateur question.. If I'm picking up a set of cold chisels, I also want a ballpeen hammer, right?

And if so, anything special classification or traits the hammer should have?

Also, great list, fossildude!

Edited by Polioliolio

Amateur question.. If I'm picking up a set of cold chisels, I also want a ballpeen hammer, right?

Thanks. :)

When I use cold chisels, I am generally using them for splitting harder rocks, so I am using my sledge hammer with those. Limestones, dolostones, sandstones.

I use a small tack hammer or ball peen hammer and sometimes old wood chisels when splitting shale.

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

This also depends on the rock you are breaking, but a geology hammer is my choice of hammer. If you go with the sledge, get a small one, 2 1/2 lbs made by Estwing.

Thanks, I saw that Esting sledge on Amazon. I'll take another look.

As for actually using the chisels and splitting hard rock, under what circumstances would one do that? Are you just breaking up rocks to see what you might find, or have you already located a specimen, and are either separating it or removing difficult matrix in the prep stage?

Yes. :P

All of the above.

Sometimes, you are able to work an outcrop of rock directly, and chisels, pry-bars, and sledge hammers are useful for removing overburden to get to fossiliferous layers, or,... to remove slabs of the fossiliferous layers themselves.

Other times, you have rock that needs to be split that has been found loose, say, in a creek bed or at the base of an outcrop. Then, depending on the side of the rock, you could use chisels as well.

Once I have located a specimen, if there is matrix still covering it, I opt for caution, and use picks, air scribe or air eraser to remove the overlying matrix.

Chisels can be a bit imprecise, and I try to opt for caution when nearer to an actual specimen.

Regards,

It is also experiment and experience. With the few trips I've made I have made changes to the equipment that I carry. Added a few things here, took a few things out. It really boils down to where you go and how you are searching for fossils.

Thanks, putting together my first toolset (though not sure how soon I can use them on my own considering park rules, until I join a club).

Very helpful!