Is This A Real Fossil Turtle ?

miguels97

No. Neither are all the birds currently for sale.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There is even a comment under the seller's feedback where a buyer complains of a "fake." The seller's response uses the term "artificial fossils."

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree, its a fake. Stay away from Chinese fossils.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

it is still cool as "art"

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

all the keichosaurus and turtles birds lizards amphibians on ebay are 99% FAKE feedback cant be trusted anyway they have 100 accounts and fake feedback

...all the keichosaurus and turtles birds lizards amphibians on ebay are 99% FAKE...

That statement is demonstrably false as most of the Keichousaurus fossils on ebay are absolutely genuine. Unfortunately they are usually prepped quickly and carelessly in order to bring them to the marketplace at a frantic pace to keep up with constant demand. TFF even had an allegedly typical Keichousaurus 'fake' that was shown to be authentic with X-Rays. The notion that all Chinese fossils are fake is an exaggerated and unwarranted myth.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

There are fine and genuine fossils to be had from China, if you know exactly what you are doing.

Don't spend money you can't afford to lose if you don't!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Having seen one of these upclose, I can assure you this type are definitely fake.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The EBay seller even states that whole turtle fossils like this are extremely rare. That should be a major "RED FLAG" right there if you are seeing lots of these for sale.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I asked the seller if any of this "fossil" was real or if it was all just carved and painted. The reply was that part of a claw was repaired.

I guess that doesn't rule out that part of everything else was also "repaired."

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I asked the seller if any of this "fossil" was real or if it was all just carved and painted. The reply was that part of a claw was repaired....

That is beyond misleading, and this sort of thing is what gives a bad reputation to all Chinese sellers. :(

That is beyond misleading, and this sort of thing is what gives a bad reputation to all Chinese sellers. :(

+1

You have to almost have the piece in-hand to get a feel for it. Then you have to be an expert to see if it's real or not by bone size, shape, type, texture, etc.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I have a quick test to check authenticity of this type of fossil and it is fairly accurate. Look at what the seller has sold in the past. If there is an identical specimen then start to have serious doubts.

Everything about that fossil is wrong. It is not a "BIG Chinese Best Triassic Keichousaurus Real Turtle Fossil." It is not Triassic, it is not Keichousaurus ( which isn't a turtle).

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

It seems many EBay listings do this. Mention items( keywords) that have absolutely nothing to do with the item being sold, just to get other viewers to check it out. Boo!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 2 weeks later...

It's my understanding that it is absolutely illegal to ship genuine fossils out of China. Anybody know for sure, or what the letter of the law is? No problem shipping fakes though, and they're apparently very plentiful!

It's my understanding that it is absolutely illegal to ship genuine fossils out of China. Anybody know for sure, or what the letter of the law is? No problem shipping fakes though, and they're apparently very plentiful!

The letter of the law and reality are a bit divergent; enforcement is non-existent for common fossils, but if China files a claim over something important, the US will cooperate fully to repatriate the specimen and prosecute the offender.

This is an extremely grey area, but here's my take on why you still see many Chinese fossils out there.

1) Not all countries complies with China's no-exporting rule.

2) A large number of fossils were brought out of China before the implementation of that rule. You often see sellers who claim their Chinese fossil were brought out before the ban. Who's to say if they are lying or telling the truth?

3) A loophole exists through Hong Kong, since it is okay to bring Chinese fossils into HK, but HK itself does not practice the no-export rule.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!