Baby Mammoth Tooth Makes For A Great Day!

Miatria

A beautiful Friday on the Peace River yielded a baby mammoth tooth! The photo is the top chewing surface, still sandy from the river. I also found my best river meg to date, 2" on the diagonal, and 2 tapir caps which, as a newbie fossiler, exactly doubles my collection of tapir caps.

Thanks to the guidance of Shellseeker and another esteemed fossil friend who granted guidance and access to a more remote location.

post-10484-0-22668900-1394977974_thumb.jpg

post-10484-0-36616900-1394979123_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Zookeeperfossils.com

Wow...you folks are making me quite jealous! Wouldn't I love to keep a mammoth tooth in my pocket to show kids (of all ages)?!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great finds there Miatria! I just booked a 3 day/2 night camping trip on the Peace in a few weeks. Hopefully I will have the same luck as yourself!

Great finds, the Peace from time to time gives up it's treasures. Folks don't realize the amount of screening and back breaking shoveling that is involved to make a score. Loved this time of the year in the Peace, the smell of orange blossoms fills the air. Thanks for sharing------Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Great finds! That makes all the hard work worth it for sure :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Great finds, the Peace from time to time gives up it's treasures. Folks don't realize the amount of screening and back breaking shoveling that is involved to make a score. Loved this time of the year in the Peace, the smell of orange blossoms fills the air. Thanks for sharing------Tom

Tom, you definitely have wisdom born of experience. Shoveling next to Miatria is an experience. This woman is dedicated! Digging for hours, then stashing the best finds in her kayak, grabbing lunch (apple), taking a bite and back to shoveling -- repeat for 6-7 hours.

This is orange blossom time in Florida -- as they used to say in an old beer commercial "It just doesn't get any better than this".

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Kudos on the baby mammoth tooth! That kind of persistence always has its rewards. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It's true, you gotta MOVE gravel! Get in the zone and dig. :-)

I also enjoy that orange blossom smell!

Zookeeperfossils.com

Congratulations on some very special finds, indeed. You are also only the second person that I have heard with your first name (same spelling, too). Best wishes!

Congrats Miatria, on the baby Mammoth tooth! I never realized how small the baby teeth could be, amazing find!

Sweet baby mammoth. On my very first weekend in the river I found a baby mammoth tooth similar to yours. The person who helped identify it for me called it a 'spit tooth' I'm assuming because this baby tooth soon gets replaced by the next set of (larger) teeth. Elephants have unusual dentitions (compared to ours anyway) each half of the jaw (both top and bottom) have their teeth on sort of a conveyor system where a new tooth erupts from the back and the older teeth wear down and fall out from the front. In its lifetime an elephant will have 6 (or sometimes 7) sets of these teeth (each subsequently larger than the last). Once the supply of teeth run out the elephant is doomed (limiting its lifespan).

"busyeagle's" comments above gave me the idea that I should get shirts made up with the slogan "Give Peace a chance..." corny but true....

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

That baby tooth is very cool, what a fossiliferous location.

You are super lucky.