Toe Bone, But From What Animal?

Laney57

Hi, Im strictly amateur, but have always found fossils fascinating. While walking along the shore of the Peace River in Wauchula awhile back, I found this fossil. I've searched and searched the web to try and identify it, and the closest thing I've come to it is a raptor toe. I've also found that that's extremely unlikely, but none of the other toe bones I have seen seem to come close, except for perhaps a giant sloth or a jaguar. Anyway, any help in identifying this fossil would be greatly appreciated!

post-14717-0-90977200-1394979628_thumb.jpg

post-14717-0-00092700-1394979644_thumb.jpg

post-14717-0-07155600-1394979664_thumb.jpg

post-14717-0-02108400-1394979787_thumb.jpg

Looks like sloth to me----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

The problem here is that this isn't a medial phalanx - it is a proximal. Note the distinct groove for the keel on the end of the associated metapodial. Sloths have first phalanges which are much shorter than the second, whereas this one is relatively long.

• I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Thanks, Shellseeker. Good to know. I will definitely check that going forward before I seek another identification.

RichW090, any idea what it might belong to? I found another thread on here where someone posted a similar photo and you identified it as camel... Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Not sure if you have already identified this one but it definitely looks like a proximal phalanx from either a Bison (Bison antiquus) or Cow (Bos taurus). Distinguishing between post-cranial elements from both can be difficult. I often find these in the larger rivers of the Midwest where millions of these animals once roamed. The tannin in some rivers quickly stain bones causing them to appear much older than they are creating a challenge for fossil hunters.

I'd go with the Bison/Bos for now - it certainly isn't camel - they are relatively much longer than this one.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".