Big Diplo, Little Diplo

RJB

Its not very often that my collection expands with new specimens, and I think Ive posted this big 18 inch diplo in the past sometime, but now I have a little tiny one to go with it!!! WoooooooHooooooo!!!!! Im trying to get a big fish of each species and a little baby to go with it. Im not sure why its sooooooo hard to get a small baby fish thats not a knightia, but ive only found 2 little prisci's in the past 12 years, and now that ive gone through some Green River rock from 2 and 3 years ago, I have a wonderful little tiny baby diplo to go along with the big daddy diplo. This little cutie measures in at about,,, '1 inch'. YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaa!!!! Whats next?

RB

Pretty little fry!

I saw a multi plate a few years ago with about 40 of those minnows on it.

Do you have any Asineops or Astephus? I think you've got to get into Lake Gosiute deposits for them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That little guy looks almost exactly like a hatchet fish from my brothers aquarium. I guess, I good fish shape endures. Awesome specimens.

Fossil, it's like a rock, but better.

Thanks again eveybody.

Hey Auspex, are you sure that multi plate with 40 fish were Diplo's, of were they the little knightia which is much more common. In fact, I dont thnk ive ever seen a bunch of little diplos on a multi rock?

Granpa dino, this little fish is just the way he/she split. No prep.

RB

usually little fish mortality plates are Goshuitichtys parvus. from lake uinta. but the next most common would definately be knightia.

Brock

Hey Auspex, are you sure that multi plate with 40 fish were Diplo's, of were they the little knightia which is much more common. In fact, I don't think i've ever seen a bunch of little diplos on a multi rock?

They were indeed Diplos (with a fair amt. of plant detritus); that's what made it so special that I can remember it (but unfortunately, that's about all I remember, other that it was a photograph). It got me thinking about how fish occupy different micro-habitats at different growth stages, and postulating as to what might have caused the mass mortality in this one.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived