Moroccan Sauropod Teeth From Kem Kem

AJ Plai

Some extra free gifts I just received from my latest acquisition. I am pretty certain they are sauropod teeth but I

am not 100% sure about their species though, they are both Moroccan specimens:

This one looks like a Rebbachiasaurus tooth but could be wrong….

post-10857-0-74188400-1395415170_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-24689200-1395415176_thumb.png

Now, this is the one I am having trouble ID'ing. The peg-like shape looks like it's a tooth from a Diplodocus, but my understanding is that

it's a Jurassic sauropod and not a Moroccan fauna. So I am at a lost here….

post-10857-0-45627800-1395415165_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-20130600-1395415181_thumb.png

Any dino teeth expertise is greatly appreciated!

Thx :)

• I found this Informative 1

They are both diplodicus type teeth. The first is commonly believed to be Rebbachiasaurus, which was a Cretaceous species of Diplodocus. and the other is from a different species of diplodocus. Unlike North America and much of the world, Africa and South America had large Sauropods living during the Cretaceous, as well as allosaurs.

Seth

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Any idea what the other Diplodocus tooth might belong to which species in the Kem Kem?

Or is it suffice to say that I can label the first one as Rebbachiasaurus and the second one as Diplodocus?

Thx for the info once again guys.

Not a lot of information out there from the kem kem on sauropod teeth. Most of what I have seen tell me you are probably safe in calling your upper tooth a Rebbachisaurus. The other tooth is not Diplodocus but most likly part of the superfamily Diplodocoidae so its that "type" of tooth. I simply call mine an "undescribed sauropod" tooth and not try to guess a species. Hopefully at some future date someone can shed more light on it and provide a positive classification.