Unknown Clymenia Nautiloid From Morocco

MOROPUS

I've purchase this Nautiloid, that comes from the Moroccan Devonian. I know that belongs to the Clymenia family...But that's all!

No idea of the exact strata or place from it belongs, or it's exact name. Can somebody help me?

post-62-0-22308300-1395441864_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-12327200-1395441879_thumb.jpg

Clymenia is an ammonite and not a nautilus. It could be Clymenia laevigata. As far as I know, they are from the upper Devon, Famenian.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

So... Clymenia is one of the first ammonites? Sorry, but ammonoids, nautiloids and so, aren't my speciality...

If it's Devonian it may be an ammonoid but no ammonites were around until late in the Permian. It's hard to tell, can you see sutures?

Those ribs are found on some Clymenia but without sutures or a formation a good ID is unlikely. Odd how the ribs are somewhat radial in one place and then become more concentric toward the aperture.

I wish fossils that came from 'out of town' came with detailed data. When I acquire such an item I am not usually very lucky in getting help with reconstructing that data here on TFF or anywhere online... but occasionally it happens, but not usually with Moroccan stuff.