Where To Go, When There Is Nowhere

FreeRuin

Hi, I live in a small town in western mass near Springfield and of course interested in fossils. I can't seem to find any fossils in my area at all I've searched since I was younger o no avail. All I want to know is anyone has had any luck with fossils in this area. Thank you

I've never been, but i would take a short trip to Calvert Cliffs in Maryland. You can find awesome stuff there!

Welcome

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

@ Fossilized6s - Calvert Cliffs is kind of a haul from Massachusetts.

@ FreeRuin,

You're not trying hard enough, then. ;)

There are fossils in your area.

Check out these websites.

LINK 1

LINK 2

Keep in mind, information on the 1st link is VERY OLD, and may no longer be relevant.

These are two links for you to look into to start your research.

I would search for - fossils+ Chicoppee Mass, fossils Holyoke Mass, Newark Supergroup+ Mass, Deerfield Rift Basin fossils, to name just a few.

There should be areas where you can find fish fossils, plants, and dinosaur footprints.

It will take lots of work, but you can find info if you look hard enough, and if you put in your time searching and hunting.

Then of course there are the areas in Upstate NY for invertebrate fossils, and New Jersey for sharks teeth. Big Brook, Etc.

Good Luck. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yeah sorry, i looked it up and its about a 7hr trip one way. Sorry. But i think it's worth it!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I'm really not sure about the legality of collecting at Turner's Falls.

You would probably have to contact whichever authorities manage the dam in that area.

More closely, you could google Sunderland fish fossils. ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Neighbor. I live in Central Massachusetts, not too far from Springfield. In case you're not already aware of it, the Western Mass. Mineral, Jewelry & Fossil Show is next weekend, March 29-30, 2014 in Norhampton, MA., sponsored by the Connecticut Valley Mineral Club. The website for the show is www.westernMassMineralShow.com.

The show is mostly minerals, with many minerals of Western Mass, but the last time I went to the show, a couple of years ago, there were also a few good fossil dealers. Not many, but a few. I bought a nice little Green River fish there for very little money. Everyone was friendly and helpful too, so you might make some good contacts. I haven't done much fossil hunting here in Massachusetts, but there are definitely fossils to be found. Tim, as always, posted some excellent suggestions. My problem has been finding legal access to collecting sites. I did some searching for fish fossils out in the western part of the state but I haven't found any yet. They have been found in the past though, and historically it's a very important area, with some of the earliest finds in America.

I haven't gone out looking for dino tracks yet, and again access is a problem, but they are surely there too. You can visit a small park with dinosaur footprints near Holyoke, open to the public and maintained by the Trustees of Reservations : http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/pioneer-valley/dinosaur-footprints.html. There is absolutely no collecting allowed there, but it's a great place to bring home photographs.

You might want to look into some productive road cuts in eastern New York. There are some great spots within a two to three hour drive of where you live. Good luck with your research!

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thank you mike, and yes the legal thing is a big problem I was thinking below turners falls below the dam I hope that is legal do you know?

As a Massachusetts native, I solved this problem by moving to Wyoming. :)

Truly I had no idea of the existence of fossils until after I left Mass. Good Luck. I still hope to return to my home state someday and find a fossil or two.

I have only maybe found one and a paleontologist said it was an ammonite egg case but I
Still think he was messing with me. I did find some amber up in Maine which was nice

I have only maybe found one and a paleontologist said it was an ammonite egg case but I

Still think he was messing with me. I did find some amber up in Maine which was nice

yep, how much longer did that leg end up?

Yeah, a lot of the old-timers love to mess with the young-uns. It's kind of an obligation to our ancestors. We've got some great fossils here in Massachusetts but they're not easy to come by. I found some nice early Jurassic plants in western mass. and posted them here on the forum a while ago. The outcrop was very small though and I doubt there's much left that's readily accessible. Oh, and about Turner's Falls, I suspect it would be hard to get permission to collect there, but I haven't tried myself. You might be able to do it. I really do wish you luck.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thanks a lot! I found a spot using the coords from a Umass document and me and my friends are planning a trip there shortly, not to far in town I hope to be successful I'll post what I find here of course but with my luck it will be nothing per the norm for me. As for the gem show I was thinking about it but it reinforces the possibility. And for turner falls I'm sure no one would mind looking down stream after I checked the map, thanks all for your help and new advise is always welcome

Archived